Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by William Blackburn <wj...@mac.com> on 2006/04/12 18:35:38 UTC

Trying to understand servicemix message routing and fault-tolerance

I've read the docs on clustering and spent some time reading up on
activemq brokers and other related topics, so I've got a feel for
scaling servicemix, but what I'm still missing is fault tolerance.
How can I ensure that a message will definitely reach its destination.

My concrete example is something like this. Two components are
orchestrated in some way such that one component prepares a (human
readable) message and the other connects to a mail server and
actually send the message. The second component may encounter
recoverable errors such as a transient network failure or a mail
server down for maintenance or similar, so the initial attempt may
fail, but another attempt in the future would succeed.

I know I can code up that retry behavior myself in a number of ways,
but I'm hoping to find that some behavior of the existing servicemix
queuing and routing implementation can be used instead to cause the
first component to retry its message to the second after some
specified wait.

Any help appreciated.

BJ