Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Tate Avery <ta...@nstein.com> on 2004/04/02 19:55:25 UTC

Numeric field data

Hello,

Is there a way (direct or indirect) to support a field with numeric data?

More specifically, I would be interested in doing a range search on numeric
data and having something like:

	number:[1 TO 2]

... and not have it return 11 or 103, etc.  But, return 1.5, for example.

Is there any support in current and/or upcoming versions for this type of
thing?
Or, has anyone figured out a creative workaround to obtain the desired
result?

Thank you for any comments,
Tate

p.s.  Ideally, I would be able to do equal, greater than, less than and
these in combination with each other (i.e. ranges, greater than or equal to,
etc.).

Re: Numeric field data

Posted by Stephane James Vaucher <va...@cirano.qc.ca>.
Added to the wiki, can of course be removed if it's transfered to the
FAQs.

sv

Re: Numeric field data

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc

Re: Numeric field data

Posted by Stephane James Vaucher <va...@cirano.qc.ca>.
Hi Tate,

There is a solution by Erik that pads numbers in the index. That would
allow you to search correctly. I'm not sure about decimal, but you could
always add a multiplier.

HTH,
sv