Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by rick_tem <rv...@temenos.com> on 2017/09/28 13:47:59 UTC

Write Behind Performance

Hi,
I'm trying to find information on write behind performance and I found this
thread:

http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Ignite-Write-Behind-performance-td5385.html

The thread says:

"As Denis pointer out, you should tune write-behind parameters to make sure
that background threads are working at sufficient insert rate. Also make
sure that you use batched inserts in your CacheStore implementation.

Hope this helps,
AG"

I've done that in my CacheStore implementation.  So my questions are:

1)  How can I monitor the queue size?  Is there a way to do that?  I want to
be able to see when it is backing up due to the database taking too much
time.
2)  Do you have any suggested parameters if the database can handle inserts
at a high pace?  I would imagine you would want writeBehindBatchSize to be
very large if doing batch inserts and writeBehindFlushFrequency to be not so
frequent (a second?) Are the defaults the best to use or would you suggest
something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.  As well, if you could point me to any other
performance links overall I'd appreciate it.

Best,
Rick

Re: Write Behind Performance

Posted by afedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

1) As for now, there is no API for checking write-behind queue size. In any
case, such method would provide only an approximate result.
2) You should carry out some testing to figure out the appropriate balance
between the batch size and flush frequency that will fit your particular
case.There is no rule of thumb and each particular case should be treated
specifically.
If the underlying DB is able to cope with a high write rate then you could
try setting a decent batch size and flush frequency size <times> * <avg DB
write rate>, where <times> depends on your cache-to-DB synchronization
requirements.

Kind regards,
Alex