Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> on 2002/09/25 19:40:47 UTC

Re: Cron /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_index

At 19:35 25.09.2002, allan wrote:
>out of curiosity:
>at that exact time i was trying to reach apache.org which was not
>responding. it sounds stupid, but was this may be the cause ?

Hi Allan,

It seems like there was a slight problem with the server, maybe some
filesystem that was down or something. I'm re-running the spider now and
everything seems ok (but it's taking an aweful amount of time, but that
might be expected I guess).

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no

Re: Cron /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_index

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 07:57 PM 09/25/02 +0200, Eric Cholet wrote:
>Yes, looks like someone DoS'd search.apache.org/index.cgi, load went very
>high, which seems to have confused the OS enough to lose knowledge about
>/x2 where the web sites live. The machine was rebooted and things work
>again.

That's my script :-(.

Ask sent in mail about it about 5am PST today.  It's not hard to cause a
DoS by hitting a plain CGI script.  I'd like to move that script to
mod_perl with a very limited number of children and reverse proxy it.  I'm
not sure if Brian wants to go that way or not.  Having a CGI script as
/index.html is an easy thing to hit.

The script has timeout's but nothing long enough to prevent this from
happening.

>Pretty scary...

Scary that it could be an attack?  I've seen the same thing when IE users
just click on off-line browsing....

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: Cron /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_index

Posted by Eric Cholet <ch...@logilune.com>.
--On Wednesday, September 25, 2002 19:40:47 +0200 Per Einar Ellefsen