Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Clay Davis <cd...@avionics-specialties.com> on 2007/08/16 21:34:56 UTC

NS Lookup Failed Question

Should I be concerned with the following results from a --lint?

-----

debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
debug: Net::DNS version: 0.48
debug: trying (3) sourceforge.net...
debug: looking up NS for 'sourceforge.net'
debug: NS lookup of sourceforge.net failed horribly => Perhaps your resolv.conf isn't pointing at a valid server?
debug: All NS queries failed => DNS unavailable (set dns_available to override)
debug: is DNS available? 0

-----

Thanks,
Clay

Re: NS Lookup Failed Question

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Clay Davis wrote:
> Well, I don't have an /etc/resolv.conf !

To be clear not having a /etc/resolv.conf file is definitely a problem
and will prevent dns from working correctly.

Bob

Re: NS Lookup Failed Question

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Clay Davis wrote on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:54:25 -0400:

> Well, I don't have an /etc/resolv.conf !

And that doesn't get you in the mood to provide more information?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: NS Lookup Failed Question

Posted by Clay Davis <cd...@avionics-specialties.com>.
Well, I don't have an /etc/resolv.conf !

Clay

>>> "Jari Fredriksson" <ja...@iki.fi> 8/16/2007 3:41 PM >>>
> Should I be concerned with the following results from a
> --lint?
>
> -----
>
> debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
> debug: Net::DNS version: 0.48
> debug: trying (3) sourceforge.net...
> debug: looking up NS for 'sourceforge.net'
> debug: NS lookup of sourceforge.net failed horribly =>
> Perhaps your resolv.conf isn't pointing at a valid
> server? debug: All NS queries failed => DNS unavailable
> (set dns_available to override)
> debug: is DNS available? 0
>
> -----
>
> Thanks,
> Clay

If your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to a valid DNS-server, and the first of them is up and running then try again.

I hear perl's DNS-package does not use but one dns-server, the first one in resolv.conf

Re: NS Lookup Failed Question

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.