Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/07/22 11:17:55 UTC

Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Hi,

I've just increased the timeout with the Jenkins build to 30 minutes (from 20) as we've had a few timeouts. We've also just passed our 100th automated build.

With the initial release done should have Jenkins mail the mailing list when a build fails?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 22, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I think it should email flex-private since those are the only folks that
>> should be able to break the build.
>

> If it mailed the pubic list it would also tell other developers that the build is currently broken (which could be useful if you using say nightly/latest build) and also act as an incentive for committers to be a bit more careful. :-)
>
> Does any know what other Apache projects do?

I know Apache POI is public - their Jenkins build is currently broken There are a lot more people who might be using trunk than there are on a PMC.

I would make it public. Who knows an unknown expert might appear with a patch to fix the build.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I think it should email flex-private since those are the only folks that
> > should be able to break the build.
>

> If it mailed the pubic list it would also tell other developers that the
> build is currently broken (which could be useful if you using say
> nightly/latest build) and also act as an incentive for committers to be a
> bit more careful. :-)

+1
Public shaming vs. private shaming ;-)

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>  The Jenkins builds still has breakages not due to code changes.
Other then the occasional timeout (now increased) and rare HTTP issue it's been reasonable stable for a while. Out of the last 10 build 2 timed out (should no longer be an issue) and one failed due to a HTTP error.

> The nightly builds aren't posted anywhere that I know
Every time Jenkins runs it creates a build here:
https://builds.apache.org/job/Flex_SDK_build/ws

The build script runs once every hour after a check in and at least once per day. So we have a default nightly build already.

I do agree it would be best to have the check in test run as part of the build but I've been unable to get it to work - anyone want to give it a go?

https://builds.apache.org/job/Flex_SDK_checkin_tests/

Currently it compiles correctly but hangs on running the tests. The Flash Player (debug projector version) has been installed on the build machine and it has the correct the to it so in theory it should work.

The last run I tried (a little while ago):
https://builds.apache.org/job/Flex_SDK_checkin_tests/12/console

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/23/12 2 :33AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 7/22/12 2:17 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just increased the timeout with the Jenkins build to 30 minutes
>>(from 20)
>> as we've had a few timeouts. We've also just passed our 100th automated
>>build.
>>
>> With the initial release done should have Jenkins mail the mailing list
>>when a
>> build fails?
>I think it should email flex-private since those are the only folks that
>should be able to break the build.

I agree, at least for a bit more.  The Jenkins builds still has breakages
not due to code changes.  Everyone is still learning.  We don't have
mustella yet.  The nightly builds aren't posted anywhere that I know of so
I think the changes are slim that people on the list that aren't
committors are going to be using them.

Carol

Re: Jenkins Flex SDK builds

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.