Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Nikolas A. Rathert" <ni...@igd.fhg.de> on 2002/07/31 08:09:25 UTC

Suppression of directory listing in Tomcat

Hi,
how do I have to configure server.xml or whatever to tell Tomcat that it
should not show the complete directory to the user in case there is no
index.html or something like that in the directory?
I know how to handle that with Apache but the htdocs directory has
nothing to do with Tomcats webapps. Therefore, there has to be another
solution.

Cheers,

Nick

Re: Suppression of directory listing in Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Nikolas A. Rathert wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:09:25 +0200
> From: Nikolas A. Rathert <ni...@igd.fhg.de>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Suppression of directory listing in Tomcat
>
> Hi,
> how do I have to configure server.xml or whatever to tell Tomcat that it
> should not show the complete directory to the user in case there is no
> index.html or something like that in the directory?
> I know how to handle that with Apache but the htdocs directory has
> nothing to do with Tomcats webapps. Therefore, there has to be another
> solution.

It's configured in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml instead of in server.xml --
check out the "listings" servlet init parameter for the default servlet
(which is the one that serves static files in a Tomcat standalone world).

> Cheers,
>
> Nick

Craig