Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> on 2004/06/19 10:35:01 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

> Log:
> Add Norwegian Bokmal translation.
>
>   Submission by Oyvind Moll <oy...@moll.no>
>
> * subversion/po/nb.po: New file.

This log message originally was in UTF-8, but I asciified it before
committing. HACKING does not specify restrictions on log messages, nor does
it explicitly allow non-ascii.

So, can I propedit to the UTF-8 variant?

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> Erik Hülsmann wrote:
>
> >Yes, I changed it to be that way. The original had non-ascii UTF-8
> >characters in it. I'm asking what policy we have to change the log to the
> >original.
> >

> I think we should eat our own dogmeat and just use UTF-8 in the log
> messages. The local conversion is fuzzy for log messages, so it
> shouldn't be that bad. And I'm sure Øyvind will be just as happy to see
> his name spelled correctly as you would be. :-)

Done. I'll change HACKING to indicate so.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by Øyvind Møll <sv...@moll.no>.
* brane@xbc.nu:

| I think we should eat our own dogmeat and just use UTF-8 in the log
| messages. The local conversion is fuzzy for log messages, so it
| shouldn't be that bad. And I'm sure Øyvind will be just as happy to
| see his name spelled correctly as you would be. :-)

Wonderful :)

Now, for further crunchy dogfood munching: how about having ViewCVS at
svn.collab.net specify UTF-8 in its Content-Type header?

--
   Øyvind Møll
   oyvind@moll.no

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Klaus Rennecke <kr...@tigris.org>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
>

>>Klaus Rennecke wrote:
>>

>>>And I'm not even qualified to answer your question.
>>>

>>Why not? It's all a matter of opinion, and yours is as valid as mine,
>>I'd say. :-)
>>

>It is my opinion that Klaus' opinion is just as valid as Brane's
>opinion.  Comments?  Suggestions?

*cringe* maybe if I

1 read the svn@ context for more than just 5 lines ahead before anwering
next time
2 remember to send from the right address so that no admin is forced to
click it

Besides, I'm happy with the decision as it went. It seems that
gnu-changelog.pl already profited from the fact.

By the way, the commit emails to svn@ seem to be sent in a mixed
charset, the mails are delared as UTF-8, the log message is OK but the
diff seems to be sent in some 8-bit latin1 variant, probably ISO-8859-1.

/Klaus

Re: Sorting of File Downloads

Posted by Klaus Rennecke <kr...@tigris.org>.
If somebody is picking this up to change the templates, it would be nice
to see the subfolders on the right side of

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=254

as well. I believe that some people fail to find the documentation on
the first try because the right side practically states that there are
no docs. Well, at least I did. And some posts on users@ asking for docs
or presentations may have been caused similarly.

Alternatively, expand the folder automatically when the name is clicked.
That would mimic the behavior of explorer in newer windoze variants. And
may be easier to implement.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Robert Spier <rs...@pobox.com> writes:
> Random thought:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=260
>
> Set that particular DocumentList to sort reverse-date, so that the
> latest release shows up at the top, "above the fold" in marketing
> speak.
>
> This would make it easier for people to find the latest tarball.

It's a good idea, but I don't see a way to specify the sort :-(.

Sorting of File Downloads

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Klaus Rennecke <kl...@rennecke.de>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> [...]
>
>> As far as I can see, all characters in that message are ISO-696 (ASCII)
>> and thus included in UTF-8. [...]
>
> Yes, I changed it to be that way. The original had non-ascii UTF-8
> characters in it. I'm asking what policy we have to change the log to
> the original.

Oh silly me I seem to have been struck blind. º¿º  And I'm not even
qualified to answer your question.

Sorry for the useless remark,
/Klaus

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
> >>Log:
> >>Add Norwegian Bokmal translation.
> >>
> >>  Submission by Oyvind Moll <oy...@moll.no>
> >>
> >>* subversion/po/nb.po: New file.

[ ... ]

> As far as I can see, all characters in that message are ISO-696 (ASCII)
> and thus included in UTF-8. I think that encoding would be identical for
> UTF-8.

Yes, I changed it to be that way. The original had non-ascii UTF-8
characters in it. I'm asking what policy we have to change the log to the
original.

bye,

Erik.

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router f�r alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl

Re: svn commit: r10030 - trunk/subversion/po

Posted by Klaus Rennecke <kr...@tigris.org>.