Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Benjamin Kietzman <be...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/09 15:38:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dropping support for Visual Studio 2015

MSVC 19.0 is buggy enough that I for one have spent multiple days
reworking code that is fine for all other compilers we test against.
Most recently in the context of https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10793
(ARROW-13482) I found that for some types T,
`std::is_convertible<T, T>::value` will be false. This necessitated the
following
(very hacky) workaround:

https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10793/commits/c44be29686af6fab2132097aa3cbd430d6ac71fe

    (Side note: if anybody has a better solution than that specific hack,
     please don't hesitate to comment on the PR.)

Would it be allowable for us to drop support for this compiler? IIUC
Microsoft is no longer accepting feedback/bug reports for VS2017, let
alone VS2015. Are there any users who depend on libarrow building
with that compiler?

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping support for Visual Studio 2015

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.
+1

VS2017 should also be compatible with VS2015 so that this should cause any issues for downstream users that link dynamically.

Posted by Benjamin Kietzman <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dropping it also.

Posted by Keith Kraus <ke...@gmail.com>.