Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Amila Jayasekara <am...@wso2.com> on 2012/02/04 12:42:48 UTC

Re: [Rampart] Upgrading WSS4J and OpenSAML versions used by Rampart

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Amila Jayasekara <am...@wso2.com> wrote:
> Following is a status update on this task.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Andreas Veithen
> <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 08:56, Amila Jayasekara <am...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Current Rampart trunk uses WSS4j 1.5.13. But WSS4J 1.6.4 is available
>>> with more features and bug fixes. It will add a great value to Rampart
>>> if we can migrate to WSS4J 1.6.4. Therefore we are working on
>>> upgrading WSS4J version to 1.6.4. We are planning to do this in
>>> following steps,
>>>
>>> 1. Upgrade OpenSAML version in Rampart trunk. Rampart currently uses
>>> both 1.1 and 2.2.3. We need to upgrade OpenSAML version to 2.5.1-1.
>>> This is the opensaml version used by WSS4J.
>
> This is completed. Changes are commited to trunk and all integration
> tests and unit tests are also passing. Please refer [1] for more
> information.
>
>>> 2. Upgrade WSS4J version in trunk to 1.6.4, with minimum code changes.
>>> Objective of this step is to upgrade WSS4J version of Rampart and make
>>> sure all existing unit tests pass.

Hi All,

WSS4J 1.6.4 migration is completed. Spent considerable amount of time
fixing issues in tests. All unit tests and integration tests
successfully executed and all passed. Now Rampart trunk only depends
on WSS4J 1.6.4 and opensaml 2.5.1-1.
Next step would be cleaning up the code. During this step we are
planning to do the following;
	- Complete TODO's in code
	- Re-factor code in such a way we can add more unit tests
	- Add more unit tests
	- Add more integration tests
	- Improve error handling
	- Improve WSS4J/OpenSAML API calls (if possible)
	- Re-factor code to reduce duplication
	- Fix Javadocs

We are planning to start code cleaning, with rampart-trust module. I
will create Jira Tickets appropriately, as we proceed.

With WSS4J migration some interface code has changed.
E.g :- Methods in org.apache.ws.security.WSPasswordCallback class.
	pc.getIdentifer() has changed to pc.getIdentifier()

Due to above, following downstream project builds got broken. I have
attached patches to relevant projects to fix these issues.

Sandesha 2 – Fixed issues and attached a patch to Jira ticket [1].
Synapse – Fixed issues and attached a patch to Jira ticket [2]

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDESHA2-211
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-840

Thank you,
AmilaJ

--
Mobile : +94773330538

Re: [Rampart] Upgrading WSS4J and OpenSAML versions used by Rampart

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Prabath Siriwardena <pr...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Great..! Thanks Amila for taking all the pain in this migration...
>
> +1 for the refactoring and code cleanup..once that is done I will merge
> Kerberos related code to the rampart trunk to work with wss4j 1.6

  +1

 Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: [Rampart] Upgrading WSS4J and OpenSAML versions used by Rampart

Posted by Prabath Siriwardena <pr...@wso2.com>.
> [...]

> Synapse – Fixed issues and attached a patch to Jira ticket [2]
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDESHA2-211
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-840
>

> Thank you,
> AmilaJ
>

>> Thanks
>> AmilaJ

>>> Note that you also have the option to do the changes on a branch
>>> (specifically created for that purpose) and to reintegrate them into
>>> the trunk once they are stabilized. This frees you from the
>>> requirement to keep the code buildable, i.e. you can check in partial
>>> changes, even if they temporarily break the build or the tests. This
>>> may be interesting if you need to get feedback/contributions from
>>> other developers. If you use the corresponding Subversion features
>>> correctly, then maintaining such a branch doesn't add much overhead.

Thanks & Regards,
Prabath

Mobile : +94 71 809 6732

http://blog.facilelogin.com