Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/11/04 22:57:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Hi folks:

Our existing jenkins instance is housed on my AWS account [1].
However, since its inception, the project has moved to the Apache
Software Foundation; and the ASF has its own Jenkins instance [2].
We've also moved past a large hurdle in working through our first
release - and as we start to ramp up towards 4.next I'd like to
propose that we begin transitioning to the ASF jenkins instance
(though we likely will use slaves that are not part of the ASF's
infrastructure much like Hadoop does due to our unique constraints,
that aren't easily solved by things like VMs.

So - first any opposition to this move? Is there any reason the ASF
jenkins instance will not work for the project? (There could well be
valid reasons - I do note that Apache Bigtop runs a separate jenkins
instance and there may well be others)

If we don't end up with any opposition, I'd like to propose that we
consider jenkins.cs.o frozen and no new tests be added there; and
begin working on getting things moved to the ASF jenkins instance.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David

[1] Yes I know, I should have used a CloudStack instance instead of
AWS, however my CloudStack instance was in disrepair at the time, and
it seemed relatively fast to do so on AWS and it was intended to be
'temporary'
[2] https://builds.apache.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50:13AM -0500, David Nalley wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:
> > Just checking in on this one as well?
> >

> Prasanna and I have been doing some work and there are a few builds
> there now. Much more to still be done. Prasanna has broached the
> subject of providing slaves for a larger test infrastructure with
> builds@.

I will reach out to Infra as well just in case.

> Whats running there now:
> * RAT
> * Build (with unit tests/coverage reports, etc)
> * Marvin
>
> My short term todo list:
> * Move the document building jobs (builds@ just installed publican on
> one of the slaves for us)
> * Get package building jobs

On my TODO list are a couple of things:
1. Setup the current test infrastructure of the integration tests on
on builds@
2. DevCloud Continuous Integration tests (new). These are a smaller
set of tests running vm life cycle tests on a per-checkin basis.

Also - trying to figure out how to run DevCloud in advanced zone mode
with VLANs. I'm looking to use a Debian KVM host with software defined
VLANs for this. If anyone has managed to setup something similar I
look forward to hear about it on the lists.

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

On Nov 4, 2012, at 1:57 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> Our existing jenkins instance is housed on my AWS account [1].
> However, since its inception, the project has moved to the Apache
> Software Foundation; and the ASF has its own Jenkins instance [2].
> We've also moved past a large hurdle in working through our first
> release - and as we start to ramp up towards 4.next I'd like to
> propose that we begin transitioning to the ASF jenkins instance
> (though we likely will use slaves that are not part of the ASF's
> infrastructure much like Hadoop does due to our unique constraints,
> that aren't easily solved by things like VMs.
>
> So - first any opposition to this move? Is there any reason the ASF
> jenkins instance will not work for the project? (There could well be
> valid reasons - I do note that Apache Bigtop runs a separate jenkins
> instance and there may well be others)
>
> If we don't end up with any opposition, I'd like to propose that we
> consider jenkins.cs.o frozen and no new tests be added there; and
> begin working on getting things moved to the ASF jenkins instance.
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames?
>
> --David
>
> [1] Yes I know, I should have used a CloudStack instance instead of
> AWS, however my CloudStack instance was in disrepair at the time, and
> it seemed relatively fast to do so on AWS and it was intended to be
> 'temporary'
> [2] https://builds.apache.org/

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Let me know what I can do to help with this transition and getting
Cloudstack accounts setup on builds.a.o

-Jake

Posted by prasanna <sr...@gmail.com>.
On 10 November 2012 01:18, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> Our existing jenkins instance is housed on my AWS account [1].
>> However, since its inception, the project has moved to the Apache
>> Software Foundation; and the ASF has its own Jenkins instance [2].
>> We've also moved past a large hurdle in working through our first
>> release - and as we start to ramp up towards 4.next I'd like to
>> propose that we begin transitioning to the ASF jenkins instance
>> (though we likely will use slaves that are not part of the ASF's
>> infrastructure much like Hadoop does due to our unique constraints,
>> that aren't easily solved by things like VMs.
>>
>> So - first any opposition to this move? Is there any reason the ASF
>> jenkins instance will not work for the project? (There could well be
>> valid reasons - I do note that Apache Bigtop runs a separate jenkins
>> instance and there may well be others)
>>
>> If we don't end up with any opposition, I'd like to propose that we
>> consider jenkins.cs.o frozen and no new tests be added there; and
>> begin working on getting things moved to the ASF jenkins instance.
>>
>> Thoughts, comments, flames?
>
> +1 to moving this, but I'm not necessarily volunteering to make the changes ;-)
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?
>
>> --David
>>
>> [1] Yes I know, I should have used a CloudStack instance instead of
>> AWS, however my CloudStack instance was in disrepair at the time, and
>> it seemed relatively fast to do so on AWS and it was intended to be
>> 'temporary'
>> [2] https://builds.apache.org/

+1, Let's go for it!

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.
On 10 November 2012 01:18, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> Our existing jenkins instance is housed on my AWS account [1].
>> However, since its inception, the project has moved to the Apache
>> Software Foundation; and the ASF has its own Jenkins instance [2].
>> We've also moved past a large hurdle in working through our first
>> release - and as we start to ramp up towards 4.next I'd like to
>> propose that we begin transitioning to the ASF jenkins instance
>> (though we likely will use slaves that are not part of the ASF's
>> infrastructure much like Hadoop does due to our unique constraints,
>> that aren't easily solved by things like VMs.
>>
>> So - first any opposition to this move? Is there any reason the ASF
>> jenkins instance will not work for the project? (There could well be
>> valid reasons - I do note that Apache Bigtop runs a separate jenkins
>> instance and there may well be others)
>>
>> If we don't end up with any opposition, I'd like to propose that we
>> consider jenkins.cs.o frozen and no new tests be added there; and
>> begin working on getting things moved to the ASF jenkins instance.
>>
>> Thoughts, comments, flames?
>
> +1 to moving this, but I'm not necessarily volunteering to make the changes ;-)
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?

+1, Let's go for it!

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating jenkins.cs.o

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.