Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 2000/01/06 17:45:53 UTC

Apache 1.3 and Expat: hashtable.c: lookup()

I've today recognized that in Expat's hashtable.c functions are exported
which have neither the Expat prefix "xml"/"XML" nor our Apache prefix
"ap". Especially there is an exported lookup() which looks really too
generic to me and can cause conflicts for us in the future. I recommend
the RM to rename the function before releasing 1.3.10. Obviously to
hashTableLookup (this way it fits into the other Expat API functions
from hastable.c which begin with "hashTable") plus perhaps rename even
all "hashTable*" symbols to "XMLHashTable" to follow the rule of the
remaining Expat symbols.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

Re: Apache 1.3 and Expat: hashtable.c: lookup()

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> I've today recognized that in Expat's hashtable.c functions are exported
> which have neither the Expat prefix "xml"/"XML" nor our Apache prefix
> "ap".

+1 on the xml/XML prefix. Does Jim Clark know about this; I imagine
he'll fix it too.

Re: Apache 1.3 and Expat: hashtable.c: lookup()

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> I've today recognized that in Expat's hashtable.c functions are exported
> which have neither the Expat prefix "xml"/"XML" nor our Apache prefix
> "ap". Especially there is an exported lookup() which looks really too
> generic to me and can cause conflicts for us in the future. I recommend
> the RM to rename the function before releasing 1.3.10. Obviously to
> hashTableLookup (this way it fits into the other Expat API functions
> from hastable.c which begin with "hashTable") plus perhaps rename even
> all "hashTable*" symbols to "XMLHashTable" to follow the rule of the
> remaining Expat symbols.

Good call.

+1 on using the XML prefix for this

Cheers,