Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by KnightRider <ks...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/07 18:58:36 UTC

Use case for storing positions and offsets in index?

Can someone please tell me the usecase for storing term positions and offsets
in the index?

I am trying to understand the difference between storing positions/offsets
vs indexing positions/offsets.

Thanks
KR

-----
Thanks
-K'Rider

Re: Use case for storing positions and offsets in index?

Posted by KnightRider <ks...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jack & Jason

-----

Posted by Jason Hellman <jh...@innoventsolutions.com>.
Consider further that term vector data and highlighting becomes very useful if you highlight externally to Solr.  That is to say, you have the data stored externally and wish to re-parse positions of terms (especially synonyms) from source material.  This is a (not too uncommon) technique used for extremely large articles, where data storage in the Lucene index might be repetitive.