Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com> on 2009/09/22 22:47:01 UTC

Maven on AIX getting Authentication Denied errors

Hello all,

I'm in a very mixed environment which has me doing a variety of things on Native platforms.  I have been able to get this to work reliably on Solaris, HPUX, Linux, Win32, and Win64.  However, I am having some trouble with AIX.

I have a local Maven repository which requires authentication.  All the other platforms work fine.  AIX works fine SOME of the time.  This is where it gets somewhat weird.  Maven will go along pulling it's depenedencies from the maven repository just fine, then suddenly start throwing Authentication Denied errors.

I'm using the same settings.xml and the properly generated ~/.m2/settings-security.xml.  Here is my servers entry in my settings.xml file:

    <!-- Server passwords, requires a properly configured ~/.m2/settings-security.xml -->
    <servers>
      <server>
        <id>pervasive</id>
        <username>AUSTIN\conman</username>
        <password>{jkPqcV8wN0MHmNDU3r7AAWR6ForysuXgSMRPdz7JzvA=}</password>
      </server>
    </servers>

As the user name would suggest, I am connecting to a Windows server which is where my Maven repository lives.  I'm not using a repository manager, just a file system exported via IIS (Windows Server 2008 if that matters).  That works for my entire Maven deploy except for this flaky behavior from AIX.  In other words, as much as I would like to bash Microsoft, it works everywhere else.  When we look at some of the logs the IT guys can scarf off of the server, it looks like AIX stops sending it's credentials across when it makes the connections.

So, to be clear.  I'm jumping through these hoops:

AIX 5.3 -> IBM JVM -> Maven 2.1.0 -> Maven Security -> Microsoft IIS

Certainly nothing in that stream seems odd. :)

Here are some of the vital statistics as reported from the tools:

# mvn --version
Apache Maven 2.1.0 (r755702; 2009-03-18 14:10:27-0500)
Java version: 1.6.0
Java home: /usr/java6/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: ISO8859-1
OS name: "aix" version: "5.3" arch: "ppc" Family: "unix"
# /usr/java6/jre/bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pap3260sr4-20090219_01(SR4))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc-32 jvmap3260-20090215_29883 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20090215_029883_bHdSMr
JIT  - r9_20090213_2028
GC   - 20090213_AA)
JCL  - 20090218_01
#

Has anyone run across this problem before?  If so, how have you dealt with it?

-Jim

Re: Maven on AIX getting Authentication Denied errors

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for circling back, Jim!

My completely unfounded opinion is that you've run into an edge case
related to AIX, since relatively few of the Maven users in the world
are on AIX. I'd be very surprised if Maven gets much testing on AIX
before each new version is released.

Your workaround (ftp rather than http) seems great.

Wayne

Posted by Jim McCaskey <ji...@pervasive.com>.
Wayne,

I knew this was the answer I was going to get.  I should have prefaced with "Use a repository manager" answers need not apply. :)

The answer is I would rather not spin my wheels on that exercise as I won't use it ultimately for a variety of reasons.  I suppose your hoping to prove that it is not IIS that is causing the problem, even though all of the other platforms work just fine for the exact same build.  As I had mentioned we can see in the IIS logs that Maven stops sending it's credentials from the AIX system.  Having not used a repository manager extensively I'm not sure what other sort of information would show up in those logs.  Perhaps you could let me know what you would be looking for and I might be able to find that information otherwise?

-Jim

> I'm not using a repository manager, just a file system exported via IIS.

Can you set up Nexus (or Archiva, Artifactory, etc) just to see if
that works? Then, if it does, you're all set to run a real MRM instead
of IIS/file system. ;-)

If it doesn't work, that gives some additional useful information, and
perhaps the MRM security logs might give even more info.

Wayne

Re: Maven on AIX getting Authentication Denied errors

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.