Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/10/10 03:26:10 UTC

voting on 2.1.8.1

Hey guys,
There was a recent discussion after 2.1.8 that we should post builds and
leave them available for a while before calling a vote... I could be
misremembering, but I think Martin indicated that a build should sit for a
few weeks while people test. In the case of 2.1.8.1, I only made changes to
the assembly artifact (in particular, how the docs zips are constructed). I
announced the build being available almost one week ago, which is obviously
less than a few weeks, but since the changes are not related to any 'code'
and that there were complaints about the docs, I thinking of calling a vote.
Personally, I would just like to get this version out since it fixes the
docs/zip problems in 2.1.8.

Does anyone want to leave 2.1.8.1 sitting longer?

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: voting on 2.1.8.1

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> There was a recent discussion after 2.1.8 that we should post builds and
> leave them available for a while before calling a vote... I could be
> misremembering, but I think Martin indicated that a build should sit for a
> few weeks while people test.

I believe you are, in fact, misremembering. ;-)

A few weeks would be rather too long, I think. For a full release, I
think we used to leave about a week between announcing the test build
and kicking off the corresponding vote.

> In the case of 2.1.8.1, I only made changes to
> the assembly artifact (in particular, how the docs zips are constructed). I
> announced the build being available almost one week ago, which is obviously
> less than a few weeks, but since the changes are not related to any 'code'
> and that there were complaints about the docs, I thinking of calling a vote.
> Personally, I would just like to get this version out since it fixes the
> docs/zip problems in 2.1.8.
>
> Does anyone want to leave 2.1.8.1 sitting longer?

I think we should be fine with kicking off the vote now.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: voting on 2.1.8.1

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> There was a recent discussion after 2.1.8 that we should post builds and
> leave them available for a while before calling a vote... I could be
> misremembering, but I think Martin indicated that a build should sit for a
> few weeks while people test.

I think that was more a comment on the fact that 2.1.8 hadn't gotten
enough testing.  I don't think this minor fix needs to sit around any
longer... I'd go ahead and call the vote.  If people need longer to
review it, you can just leave the vote open longer.

--
Wendy

Re: voting on 2.1.8.1

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.