Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> on 2016/10/03 16:22:37 UTC

[PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Hi List,

      Currently the new parser can parse almost all groovy source
codes(including the scripts embedded) of groovy project(2.5.0 master branch,
*4621 IN TOTAL, 4619 PASSES, 2 FAILED*). In other words, the AST generated
by the new and old parsers are almost same(except corrected location
information of nodes). You can find more details in the groovy-parser
repository(https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy-parser).

     The 2 FAILED test cases is:
1) src/test/groovy/EscapedUnicodeTest.groovy(TODO find a better way to
translate code written in unicode escapes);
2)
subprojects/groovy-groovysh/src/main/groovy/org/codehaus/groovy/tools/shell/commands/DocCommand.groovy(TODO
confirm: https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy-parser/issues/5);

      The following work will be done in the near future:
1) set the new parser as the default parser to build groovy itself and run
all test cases;
2) provide friendly error message;
3) add more features to make Groovy more compatible with Java, e.g.
do-while, lambda expression, etc.

     At last, I want to thank *Jochen Theodorou* and *Paul King*, who
provide me many suggestion and help while developping the new parser.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by "atuzov ." <at...@gmail.com>.
+1

4 окт. 2016 г. 16:34 пользователь "Miles, Chris (MFT)" <ch...@moonfruit.com>

Re: 答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
IMO, when the new parser passes all test cases of groovy project, that says it conforms to GLS. All groovy program should conform to GLS, shouldn't them? :-)   But we can modify GLS if Groovy core team approves ;-)

在 "Thibault Kruse [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月9日 13:55写道:

Should the new parser also pass tests for the most-used frameworks
before being merged? Grails, Gradle, Spock and Geb come to my mind.

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735940.html
NAML<http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: 答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
NO... I did not see them in the failing test list when using travis ci. It is lucky that Sergei had locate the cause of the failing tests and made a PR as follows:

https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/443

在 "Jochen Theodorou [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月9日 15:03写道:

On 07.10.2016 18:09, daniel_sun wrote:
> Jochen, you can see the test result at:
> http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=Groovy_Antlr4grammar

thanks... but there are 3 tests failing. Are those the test you have a
local fix for?

bye Jochen

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735942.html

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Jochen, you can see the test result at: http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=Groovy_Antlr4grammar

在 "Jochen Theodorou [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月7日 下午7:40写道:

http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735891.html

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
OK. The 3 remaining failed test cases of last CI have been fixed on my local machine. It's pity that travis ci fails to run  test cases recently. So I'm applying  a new CI instance :)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

在 "Jochen Theodorou [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月7日 19:40写道:

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
I agree we should also try the new parser on a handful of other popular
projects, as it'd ensure the parser can parse even more of Groovy that is
in the wild.

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: 答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
I see.

在 "Jochen Theodorou [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月7日 19:03写道:

On 07.10.2016 08:52, daniel_sun wrote:
> How about providing a jar file containing the new parser, which is
> compiled by Java8. When developers use Java8, they can try the new
> parser by turning on the switch.

I think for the time being we could make the new parser just a
subproject that depends on main. Then this subproject can be java8,
while the remainder of the project is java7. We need to
ressurect/repair/activate the antlrparser plugin mechanism, but
otherwise there should be no big problem.... Of course java7 would then
not be able to use the new parser. WE can still think about porting or
not, once we have it merged back.

bye Jochen

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735888.html

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
How about providing a jar file containing the new parser, which is compiled by Java8. When developers use Java8, they can try the new parser by turning on the switch.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

在 "paulk_asert [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月7日 上午4:55写道:

I didn't realise Java 8 was a requirement. I was hoping we could maybe
even sneak the new parser into Groovy 2.5 (but not turned on by
default) since we have been delayed so long and the parser is coming
along nicely.

Given the Java 8 requirement, that might be a bit more work than we
originally planned - perhaps a plugin-style mechanism would be
required?

I think 3.0 was the target for Java8+. We would certainly have the new
parser there and probably switched on by default - with a switch to
fall back (only if we absolutely need it). I don't know what others
think.

Paul.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I know, Groovy will migrate to Java8 as soon as possible, so it
> will be OK in the near future ;)
>

> 在 "Graeme Rocher-2 [via Groovy]" <ml-node+[hidden email]>,2016年10月6日
> 下午8:19写道:
>
> Oh, it could be a problem dropping Java 7 support if this were ever
> contributed to Groovy core
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Graeme,
>>

>>        Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try :)
>>

>> PS: The new parser requires Java8 because streams and lambda expression
>> are
>> used.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Daniel.Sun
>>
>> ________________________________

>>> ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
>>> org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run
>>> Gradle Compiler Daemon
>>> https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy/issues/4
>>>

>>>        Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above
>>> ever?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel.Sun

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735850.html

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM, daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, Groovy will migrate to Java8 as soon as possible, so it
> will be OK in the near future ;)
>

> 在 "Graeme Rocher-2 [via Groovy]" <ml-node+[hidden email]>,2016年10月6日
> 下午8:19写道:
>
> Oh, it could be a problem dropping Java 7 support if this were ever
> contributed to Groovy core
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Graeme,
>>

>>        Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try :)
>>

>> PS: The new parser requires Java8 because streams and lambda expression
>> are
>> used.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Daniel.Sun
>>
>> ________________________________

>>> Daniel.Sun

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
As far as I know, Groovy will migrate to Java8 as soon as possible, so it will be OK in the near future ;)

在 "Graeme Rocher-2 [via Groovy]" <ml...@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月6日 下午8:19写道:

Oh, it could be a problem dropping Java 7 support if this were ever
contributed to Groovy core

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>

>        Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try :)
>

> PS: The new parser requires Java8 because streams and lambda expression are
> used.
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun
>
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735842.html

Posted by Graeme Rocher <gr...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>

>        Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try :)
>

> PS: The new parser requires Java8 because streams and lambda expression are
> used.
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun
>
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5735833&i=0>> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>

>       The last test result is shown as following:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810
>
> 13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped
>
>        Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to
> verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis
> CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases
> without any problem on my local machine.
>
> [org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task
> ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
> org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run
> Gradle Compiler Daemon
> https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy/issues/4
>

>        Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above ever?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.Sun
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735833.html

Posted by Graeme Rocher <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM, daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>

>       The last test result is shown as following:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810
>
> 13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped
>
>        Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to
> verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis
> CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases
> without any problem on my local machine.
>
> [org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task
> ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
> org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run
> Gradle Compiler Daemon
> https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy/issues/4
>

>        Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above ever?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.Sun
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Graeme,

      The last test result is shown as following:

https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810

13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped

       Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases without any problem on my local machine.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:57 AM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5735829&i=0>> wrote:
> Thanks :)

Graeme Rocher

________________________________
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735829.html

Posted by Graeme Rocher <gr...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:57 AM, daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks :)

Graeme Rocher

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks :)

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
I'm trying to set the new parser as the default to build and test, *13396
tests completed, 6 failed, 9 skipped*

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:22 AM, daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> 2)
>> subprojects/groovy-groovysh/src/main/groovy/org/codehaus/groovy/tools/shell/commands/DocCommand.groovy(TODO
>> confirm: https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy-parser/issues/5);
>
> So the current Groovy parser could handle this case?

There was an erroneous syntax error in that file - would have thrown
some kind of runtime exception (missing property or something) if that
branch was ever hit. Double quotes were changed to single for a
non-GString string (perhaps avoiding a codenarc warning?) but the
string already contained single quotes. Anyway, I flipped the inner
ones to be double quotes. So there is nothing to fix in the new
parser.

Paul.

Re: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.