Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Gary Hodgson <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/16 16:32:41 UTC

Custom distribution with child instances?

Hi,

Is there a way to create a custom distribution which contains a set of
pre-configured child instances? Or is this something that would require
some custom maven assembly work?

Thanks,
Gary

Re: Custom distribution with child instances?

Posted by garyhodgson <co...@garyhodgson.com>.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, particularly your simplified installation steps
Paul!  I'll get on with defining a similar deployment mechanism.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Gary,
I use Features and the Karaf Maven plugin[1] to create a distribution containing all necessary bundles that will be used by the child instances. My Karaf parent and child instances are installed on servers without an internet connection.  What is not propagated to the child instance is the custom content of /etc from the parent instances.  As an example, the I set the maven repository list in src/main/repository/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg of the custom distribute project, which is placed in /etc of the parent instance but not the child instance.

***
* Below is a simplified version of my installation process is a target server:
***
- Expand the custom distribution
- Start the parent instance using bin/start
- Create child instances using the instance:create command
     instance:create --location ${user.home}/child_1 --ssh-port 8103 child_1
     instance:create --location ${user.home}/child_2 --ssh-port 8104 child_2
- Update instance specific files in /etc
- Connect to the parent instance with bin/child -u karaf
- For each child instance
   - Start and connect to the instance
       instance:start --wait  child_n
       instance:connect -u karaf -p karaf child_n
   - Customize child instance specific properties
       config:edit org.ops4j.pax.web
       config:property-set org.osgi.service.http.port 8183
       config:property-list
       config:update
   - Add feature repositories
       feature:repo-add mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/3.0.2/xml/features
       feature:repo-add mvn:com.foo/my-karaf-feature/1.2.0/xml/features
   - Install features
       feature:install transaction/1.1.1
       feature:install my-production-server

I have also created a simple Maven repository using an Apache web server to simplify the installation of installing and updating bundles.

Paul Spencer

[1] http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-3.0.x/developers-guide/custom-distribution.html

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Gary,

sounds like you'll need some custom maven assembly here.

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead