Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/26 00:25:13 UTC

[crypto] The standard indentation is 4 spaces per indent

Hi all,

In our coding guidelines [1] we say that "The standard indentation is 4
spaces per indent - but respect the number of spaces used by the original."

The [crypto] Java code I've seen to far is all 2 spaces per indent.

I think now is the time to do this, most IDEs can do a one-shot format of a
whole source tree.

Gary

[1] https://commons.apache.org/patches.html

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

RE: [crypto] The standard indentation is 4 spaces per indent

Posted by "Chen, Haifeng" <ha...@intel.com>.
OK. Let's use 4 spaces indent. Thanks folks for sharing your opinion.

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.
>This is Commons, AND this is brand new code, so in my mind there is no
"original" formatting style to respect. 4 spaces per indent like the rest
of the project please. Remember that Commons is a SINGLE project. Hopefully
we won't have to argue about too much about this...
[Uma] Thanks Gary for your opinion on this. I think I confused on the part
respect "original code". Since we got original code from Hadoop (Chimera
pulled the code from Hadoop), I brought this point. My proposal also says
that, original source of code is from Hadoop. I realized that, point says
about the component coding style for new contributions. BTW, Yes, its not
worth discussing too much on this point :-). I am ok either way.

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.