Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by James Cooper <jw...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/06/01 17:57:13 UTC

cannot get past install problems

Using: Windows 2000
Tomcat 3.2.1
xerces 1.4.0
soap 2.2

Put soap.war in tomcat\webapps
put mail.jar and activation.jar in soap\lib
set classpath to
c:\xerces\xerces.jar;c:\soap\lib\soap.jar;c:\soap\lib\mail.jar;c:
\soap\lib\activation.jar;c:\tomcat\lib\servlet.jar;.;D:
\sqllib\java\db2java.zip;D:\sqllib\java\runtime.zip;D:
\sqllib\java\sqlj.zip;D:\sqllib\bin

Modified tomcat.bat  to show
set CP=c:\xerces\xerces.jar;%CLASSPATH%;%CP%

Tomcat starts fine

You can run the SOAP administrator and deploy services, and
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter returns the expected message,
but

java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list

causes:
Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Protocol;
msg=Unsupported response content type text/html", must be: "text/xml".
Response was:
<h1>Error: 500</h1>
<h2>Location: /soap/servlet/rpcrouter</h2><b>Internal Servlet
Error:</b><br><pre
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/activation/MimeTypeParseException
        at
org.apache.soap.server.http.RPCRouterServlet.doPost(RPCRouterServlet.
java:220)

etc. etc.

I guess I'll go back to SOAP 2.0 unless someone has a suggestion.

James W. Cooper
Advanced Information Retrieval and Analysis
IBM T J Watson Research Center
jwcnmr@watson.ibm.com
http://flahdo.watson.ibm.com/
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/j/jwcnmr/

Re: cannot get past install problems

Posted by "William A. Nagy" <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi James,

Do me a favor and make sure that there is actually a
MimeTypeParseException class in your activation.jar (i.e. jar -tf
activation.jar).  I generally use the j2ee.jar from Sun's J2EE
reference implementation, just because it has the activation, mail,
and ejb stuff in one convenient package.

When you say "You can run the SOAP administrator and deploy services",
do you mean that you are using the admin JSP pages?  (If yes: The
ServiceManagerClient actually generates SOAP messages, while the admin
JSP pages do not, which is why you are not seeing the error earlier.)

-Bill

Posted by "William A. Nagy" <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by D Johnson <vt...@home.com>.
James,

	Most install issues are environmental, (having been where you are, I know
that's the LAST
thing you probably want to hear!).. However, that being said, I've resolved
almost EVERY
issue I've ever had using

javap, to verify existance of classes and methods

and

JWhich to see WHICH class file I'm loading.. You problems might be related
to just
finding the wrong class first in a preceeding jar file.

JWhich is free, as all good things are, but I don't have a link to it handy.
Let me know if
you can't find it and I'll send you the link from work on Monday.

Good Luck, let me know if I can be of assistance. I've done 7 SOAP
installations from the ground up over
the past year and not ONE has gone through without SOME sort of issue, be it
ordering, versioning etc.

Good Luck,

=- Dj