Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/11 22:59:26 UTC

Fwd: [Pig Wiki] Update of "FrontPage" by OlgaN

Okay... I can see why some of this would be "Removing duplicate links
to the documentation per discussion on the user list." ... but why
leave that vendor link there? That's already on the Pig home page.

And some of those links which were removed are *not* on the Pig home
page, such as the Cookbook and the Javadocs. And the FAQ link was
dropped.

And why force people through to another page, instead of helping them
out here on the wiki?

I have reservations when lots of helpful links are deleted, yet a
*vendor* link is the only one to remain.

-g

Posted by Santhosh Srinivasan <sm...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Will it help if Pig provides a "Useful Topics/ Quick Help" link with the most used (useful) links? The home page can point users to the latest release.

Santhosh

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Whether these changes have made it too hard to get to a FAQ etc. or
not, I don't have a strong opinion.  But I do want to make clear that
we are not leaving the Cloudera link there to favor a particular
vendor.  We feel that tutorial is very helpful for Pig users (a number
of users have given us positive feedback on it) so we want to make
sure it's easy for people to find.  If there are other vendor provided
products that are similarly helpful to users, we'll be happy to put
links to them as well.  In fact, we should probably put the fact that
Amazon offers Pig as part of Elastic Map Reduce in the News section.
You say we should be vendor neutral.  We are being vendor neutral:
every Pig tutorial that we are aware of out there we are linking to.

Alan.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hey Olga,