Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org> on 2013/03/03 00:35:35 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Hi Guys,

I'd like to call a VOTE for acceptance of Provisionr into the Apache
Incubator.

The vote will close on March 8.

[] +1 Accept Provisionr into the Apache incubator
[] +0 Don't care.
[] -1 Don't accept Provisionr into the incubator because...

Full proposal is pasted at the bottom on this email, and the corresponding
wiki is http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ProvisionrProposal

Only VOTEs from Incubator PMC members are binding, but all are welcome to
express their thoughts.

Thanks,
Andrei Savu

----------
Provisionr Proposal

== Abstract ==

Provisionr is an effort to develop a service that can be used to create and
manage pools of virtual machines on multiple clouds. Our focus is on
semi-automated workflows and cloud portability.

== Proposal ==

Provisionr solves the problem of cloud portability by hiding completely the
APIs and only focusing on building a cluster that matches the same set of
assumptions on all clouds, assumptions like: running a specific operating
system (e.g. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), having the same set of pre-installed
packages and binaries, sane dns settings (forward & reverse ip resolution -
as needed for Hadoop), ntp settings, networking settings, firewall, ssh
admin access, vpn access etc.

As a secondary goal Provisionr should also provide primitives for building
automatic or semi-automatic workflows for configuring services, workflows
that assume that all the machines share a common set of characteristics as
described above.

== Background ==

Creating clusters on cloud infrastructure is non-trivial because careful
orchestration is required. To make it easy to deploy services we need to
start from a foundation that matches a common set of assumptions on
multiple providers.

== Rationale ==

This project started as a re-write of the core of Apache Whirr but has a
different target being more focused on semi-automated workflows and cloud
portability.

== Initial Goals ==

 * Build a community
 * Provide an excellent user experience for semi-automatic workflows (e.g.
using Rundeck)
 * Implement a REST service and a Web Console
 * Add support for more providers

== Current Status ==

Provisionr had four releases on [[
https://github.com/axemblr/axemblr-provisionr/wiki|GitHub]] and it's used
to deploy Hadoop clusters on-demand at Axemblr and infrastructure for
testing / QA.

=== Meritocracy ===

We plan to invest in supporting a meritocracy. We will discuss the
requirements in an open forum. Several companies have already expressed
interest in this project, and we intend to invite additional developers to
participate. We will encourage and monitor community participation so that
privileges can be extended to those that contribute.

=== Community ===

The community interested in cloud service infrastructure is currently
spread across many smaller projects, and one of the main goals of this
project is to build a vibrant community to share best practices and build
common infrastructure.

=== Core developers ===

Core developers are very experienced in the Apache ecosystem. To achieve
more diversity of developers, we will be eager to recruit developers from
diverse companies.

 * Andrei Savu - asavu at apache dot org  (Apache Whirr PMC)
 * Ioan Eugen Stan - ieugen at apache dot org (Apache James PMC)
 * Alex Ciminian -  alex.ciminian at gmail dot org

=== Alignment ===

Provisionr complements Apache Whirr and later on it should provide a robust
foundation for more advanced functionalities.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products ===

The contributors have significant open source experience and the project is
being used as part of a commercial product, so the risk of being orphaned
is relatively low. We plan to mitigate this risk by recruiting additional
committers.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

Most of the initial committers have experience working on open source
projects. Andrei Savu and Ioan Eugen Stan have experience as committers and
PMC members on other Apache projects.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

We are committed to recruiting additional committers from other companies
based on their contributions to the project.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

It is expected that Provisionr development will occur on both salaried time
and on volunteer time, after hours. The majority of initial committers are
paid by their employer to contribute to this project. However, they are all
passionate about the project, and we are confident that the project will
continue even if no salaried developers contribute to the project. We are
committed to recruiting additional committers including non-salaried
developers.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

Provisionr is closely integrated with CloudStack, Karaf, CXF, BigTop in a
numerous ways. We look forward to collaborating with those communities, as
well as other Apache communities (like Apache Helix).

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

We think that Provisionr will benefit from the community sharing ideas and
best practices for running cloud services. The ASF does a great job at
building communities, which is why we want to build Provisionr at Apache.

== Documentation ==

 * https://github.com/axemblr/axemblr-provisionr/wiki
 *
https://github.com/axemblr/axemblr-provisionr/wiki/Axemblr-Provisionr-in-5-Minutes
 *
https://github.com/axemblr/axemblr-provisionr/wiki/Starting-an-HDFS-cluster-on-EC2-with-Provisionr-and-Rundeck
 *
http://www.slideshare.net/savu.andrei/creating-pools-of-virtual-machines-apachecon-na-2013

== Initial Source ==

Available on GitHub: https://github.com/axemblr/axemblr-provisionr

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

We are going to prepare a software grant as needed. The source code is
already available under the Apache 2.0 license.

== External Dependencies ==

The existing external dependencies all have Apache compatible licenses:
Activiti (Apache 2.0), AWS SDK (Apache 2.0), jclouds (Apache 2.0), Google
Guava (Apache 2.0).

== Cryptography ==

Provisionr uses standard APIs and tools for SSH and SSL.

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * provisionr-private
 * provisionr-dev

=== Version Control ===

Git repository

=== Issue Tracking ===

JIRA Provisionr (PROVISIONR)

=== Other Resources ===

The existing code already has unit and integration tests so we would like a
Jenkins instance to run them whenever a new patch is submitted. This can be
added after project creation.

== Initial Committers ==

 * Andrei Savu - asavu at apache dot org
 * Ioan Eugen Stan - ieugen at apache dot org
 * Alex Ciminian - alex.ciminian at gmail dot org
 * Amandeep Khurana - amansk at gmail dot com
 * Roman Shaposhnik - rvs at apache dot org
 * Eric Sammer - esammer at apache dot org

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===

Tom White - tomwhite at apache dot org

=== Nominated Mentors ===

 * Roman Shaposhnik - rvs at apache dot org
 * Tom White - tomwhite at apache dot org
 * Mohammad Nour - mnour at apache dot org

=== Sponsoring ===

Incubator PMC

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
+1 non-binding

Cheers,
Andreas
---

Andrei Savu:

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1
Tommaso

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 - binding

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
Apologies for any typos

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'd like to call a VOTE for acceptance of Provisionr into the Apache
> Incubator.
>
> The vote will close on March 8.
>
> [] +1 Accept Provisionr into the Apache incubator
> [] +0 Don't care.
> [] -1 Don't accept Provisionr into the incubator because...

+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
+ 1 (binding).

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to call a VOTE for acceptance of Provisionr into the Apache
> Incubator.

+1

-Bertrand

[RESULT][VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Good luck

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
+1

Tom

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2013 03:35 PM, Andrei Savu wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'd like to call a VOTE for acceptance of Provisionr into the Apache
> Incubator.
>
> The vote will close on March 8.
>
> [] +1 Accept Provisionr into the Apache incubator
> [] +0 Don't care.
> [] -1 Don't accept Provisionr into the incubator because...
>
> Full proposal is pasted at the bottom on this email, and the corresponding
> wiki is http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ProvisionrProposal
>
> Only VOTEs from Incubator PMC members are binding, but all are welcome to
> express their thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrei Savu

+1 (non binding)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

--
Ioan Eugen Stan

Re: [VOTE] Accept Provisionr into the Apache Incubator

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 from me (binding).

G'luck!

Cheers,