Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net> on 2012/10/15 17:42:10 UTC

license for gpl3 wrapper?

Hi, we wrote a UIMA wrapper for a GPLv3 library and would like to
publish it.

Is it possible to publish it under the Apache License 2.0 if we don't
distribute the GPL library, or does the wrapper have to be published
under GPLv3? I understand that there's no problem with having it under
GPL even though it links against UimaCpp.

If we publish it under the GPLv3, how do we have to credit UIMA?

Thanks,
Jens

Re: license for gpl3 wrapper?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> I do not think it is mandatory to credit UIMA at all.

If UIMA is distributed it is mandatory to include
the license and the attribution.

Jörn

Re: license for gpl3 wrapper?

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi,

as far as I understand, if you make any direct API calls to the GPLv3 library, your code needs to be GPLv3 as well.

It may be possible to dual-license it under the ASL 2.0 and the GPLv3, so that it can be used under the ASL 2.0 in the case all references to GPLv3 code are removed. I'd be curious if anybody else considers this a valid approach, because I'm actually considering to do that dual-license thing with some code we have that currently links to to GPL-ed libraries.

I do not think it is mandatory to credit UIMA at all. I suppose a mention on the website for your libraries or possible in the README.txt file of your project wouldn't hurt. If you are on the scientific side, there are several papers related to UIMA, e.g. this one

	http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1030318.1030325

Cheers,

-- Richard

Am 15.10.2012 um 17:42 schrieb Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>