Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ca...@gebit.de on 2013/12/17 15:19:59 UTC

OverlappingFileLockException when using artifact-lock-nio

Hi,

I just tried the artifact-lock-io lockstrategy with
ivy_2.4.0.alpha_20131214174343.jar.
At some point I got resolve error like this:

[ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[ivy:resolve]           ::          UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES         ::
[ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[ivy:resolve]           :: org.hamcrest#hamcrest-core;1.1:
java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
[ivy:resolve]           :: org.glassfish#javax.ejb;3.1:
java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
[ivy:resolve]           :: org.jboss.weld.se#weld-se-core;1.1.10.Final:
java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
[ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong in our <parallel> tasks or if
that rather indicates
a problem in the lock strategy implementation.

The build system is Debian Linux (Wheezy), filesystem is local. There's no
other access to
Ivy's cache than by Ivy itself.

Best regards
Carsten

Antwort: Re: Re: OverlappingFileLockException when using artifact-lock-nio

Posted by Ca...@gebit.de.
Hi Charles,

awesome, your fix works perfectly. That was fast :-)

Thanks a lot,
Carsten

Von:    Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net>
An:     Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
Datum:  19.12.2013 23:37
Betreff:        Re: Re: OverlappingFileLockException when using
artifact-lock-nio

Howdy, Carsten --

Thank you again for the reproducer, which was invaluable in tracking down
this issue and validating the fix.

The issue should be resolved in current trunk; also, a new test case has
been added to the suite to prevent regressions.

Please let me know if you have further issues.

Thanks,
-- Charles

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM, <Ca...@gebit.de> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've filed the issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1454
> The exception indeed appears to occur due to our specific use of
> the parallel task, in conjunction with the antcallback task from
> ant-contrib.
>
> Thanks,
> Carsten
>

> Von:    Carsten.Pfeiffer@gebit.de
> An:     "Ant Developers List" <de...@ant.apache.org>
> Datum:  18.12.2013 09:38
> Betreff:        Re: OverlappingFileLockException when using
> artifact-lock-nio
>

> Hi Charles,
>
> thanks a lot for your investigation -- I'm gathering some more
information

> about the problem
> and submit them to JIRA. The is a trunk build from
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Ivy/446/ and
> unfortunately, we're not using symlinks to the caches and have multiple
> cache configurations :-}
>
> I'll send a notice with the issue number when I've got all the details.
>
> Thanks,
> Carsten
>

> Von:    Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net>
> An:     Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
> Datum:  18.12.2013 01:49
> Betreff:        Re: Re: OverlappingFileLockException when using
> artifact-lock-nio
>

> Howdy --
>
> I've spent a few minutes analyzing the logic in the code in question.
>
> tryLock is documented to throw that exception only when the other
instance
> of the lock is held by the same process, rather than by out-of-process
> code.
>
> The current code intends to avoid that situation by use of a
synchronized
> block in acquireLock(); tryLock() is only called within that block.
Since

Posted by Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net>.
Howdy, Carsten --

> [...]

> > > [ivy:resolve]           :: org.hamcrest#hamcrest-core;1.1:
> > > java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
> > > sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
> > > [ivy:resolve]           :: org.glassfish#javax.ejb;3.1:
> > > java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
> > > sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
> > > [ivy:resolve]           ::
> org.jboss.weld.se#weld-se-core;1.1.10.Final:
> > > java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException at
> > > sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(FileLockTable.java:255)
> > > [ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> > >
> > > Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong in our <parallel> tasks or
> if
> > > that rather indicates
> > > a problem in the lock strategy implementation.
> > >
> > > The build system is Debian Linux (Wheezy), filesystem is local.

Antwort: Re: OverlappingFileLockException when using artifact-lock-nio

Posted by Ca...@GEBIT.DE.

Von:    Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net>
An:     Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
Datum:  18.12.2013 01:49