Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2009/04/11 10:36:42 UTC

Multimodule Project and a configuration file for a plugin

Hi,

i have a multimodule setup and i'm using a plugin

<groupId>com.google.code.maven-license-plugin</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-license-plugin</artifactId>

but i have a little problem with the configuration of the plugin.

The plugin needs a file as a template as the license header.

But i would like to define only a single file so i have setup
it that way to use the file in the root module of my project...

So the root module uses

<configuration>
      <header>src/main/etc/header.txt</header>

But the submodules need to use a thing like this:

  <plugin>
     <groupId>com.google.code.maven-license-plugin</groupId>
     <artifactId>maven-license-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>${maven-license-plugin.version}</version>
     <configuration>
         <header>${basedir}/../src/main/etc/header.txt</header>
     </configuration>
  </plugin>

So this results in defining in every sub module such an entry...

Does there exist an opportunity to define a path to the root module
within a multimodule setup so i need to define the path only at one
point...

If i don't make entries in the pom in the submodule the derived
definition of the plugin is used with the defined path, but that would
result in putting the file into every submodule...

So does someone has a better solution or a hint to improve this ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Multimodule Project and a configuration file for a plugin

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Martin,

first thank you for your answer,

the problem with the solution is that i need to define environment
variables...which is a source of failures in different build
environments...so if there is no other solution i have to cope with the
used approach...

>            <systemProperties>
seemed not be valid in the POM nor in the profiles.xml file...

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
        <profile>
            <id>maven2.0</id>
            <activation>
                <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
            </activation>
           <systemProperties>
            <property>

              <name>JAVA_HOME</name>

              <value>${JAVA_HOME}</value>

            </property>

            <property>

              <name>M2_HOME</name>

              <value>${M2_HOME}</value>

            </property>
          </systemProperties>

oder durch Umgebungsvariablen für das Einsteck wie
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <childDelegation>true</childDelegation>
          <excludes>
            <exclude>org/codehaus/plexus/util/FileBasedTestCase.java</exclude>
            <exclude>**/Test*.java</exclude>
          </excludes>
          <systemProperties>
            <property>
              <name>JAVA_HOME</name>
              <value>${JAVA_HOME}</value>
            </property>
            <property>
              <name>M2_HOME</name>
              <value>${M2_HOME}</value>
            </property>
          </systemProperties>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

tut diese Hilfe?
Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> But i would like to define only a single file so i have setup
> it that way to use the file in the root module of my project...

The best solution to these kinds of problems is to modify the plugin
code so it will search for its configuration file in the plugin
dependency jar(s), and then include a config jar with the config file
in the plugin definition in the parent, and it will be inherited by
all the children.

This allows you to version your config files as well as share them
across your projects. Other Maven plugins like checkstyle do this --
take a look at the plugin source code.

Wayne