Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com> on 2010/12/14 05:44:46 UTC

merging in configadmin launchpad support

As I alluded to in my vote email, I'd like to merge in the changes I have in
a branch which allows for ConfigAdmin files to be loaded from the launchpad
JAR/WAR. I haven't really done anything about this since the summer, but I'm
pretty happy with the solution I came up with (see
http://codereview.appspot.com/1997042/).

This is, strictly speaking, not backwards compatible for "embedders" of
launchpad, but the only embedder we have is the maven-launchpad-plugin.
Hopefully, once these changes are merged and the next rev of launchpad
released, I can spend some time documenting how launchpad can be embedded in
case anyone wants/needs to do that (although I think the JAR/WAR use cases
cover most people's needs).

To be clear, for code running inside launchpad, these changes are entirely
backwards compatible - they only impact the code running outside launchpad.
Code running inside launchpad can use the new LaunchpadContentProvider
service to get access to the launchpad archive's contents, but that's
entirely new functionality.

I'll hopefully have a chance to update the patch and apply it sometime
mid-week, but I wanted to give a heads up because it's probably going to be
a pain to unmerge if someone doesn't like it :)

Justin

Framework Launching changes (was: merging in configadmin launchpad support)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 14.12.2010, 07:52 -0500 schrieb Justin Edelson:
> Hi Felix,
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > Agreed. Though I did not yet take a deep look into your provided patch
> > (should do that RSN ... ;-) ).
> >
> > Incidentally, I am also working on the Launchpad Base module (see
> > SLING-1888).
> >
> I couldn't tell if you were actively working on this. Has FindHook support
> been implemented somewhere in Felix or Equinox?

Don't worry, just go ahead with your stuff and I will cope ;-)

No, FindHook is currently just a draft and Felix does not implement it.
It may well be that some trunk state of Eclipse implements it in some
way or the other...

My primary intent actually is to prevent starting the framework into
startlevel 1, checking for system bundle fragments, restart and then
"manually" go to the target start level.

By installing and checking bundles after calling Framework.init we can
either continue starting or stop and re-init and start the framework and
thus have the FRAMEWORK_STARTED event really at the end of the startup.

Regards
Felix

Re: merging in configadmin launchpad support

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Justin Edelson
<ju...@justinedelson.com> wrote:
>> > ...http://codereview.appspot.com/1997042/)....

> ...The JIRA issue is SLING-1597. Here's the thread where I described the
> approach taken: http://sling.markmail.org/thread/d4q5fskzep5thv5a ...

Ah ok thanks, I remember now - patch and idea look good to me, thanks
for the heads up.
-Bertrand

Re: merging in configadmin launchpad support

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Justin Edelson
> <ju...@justinedelson.com> wrote:
> > As I alluded to in my vote email, I'd like to merge in the changes I have
> in
> > a branch which allows for ConfigAdmin files to be loaded from the
> launchpad
> > JAR/WAR. I haven't really done anything about this since the summer, but
> I'm
> > pretty happy with the solution I came up with (see
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/1997042/)....
>
> I don't remember exactly what that was, could you point us to a
> description of what this does?

The JIRA issue is SLING-1597. Here's the thread where I described the
approach taken: http://sling.markmail.org/thread/d4q5fskzep5thv5a

The thread gets a bit distracted as it turns into a discussion of how to get
JCRInstall into Sling 6 (which we've already done).

Justin

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,