Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2008/05/28 23:19:32 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Relevant information can be found in:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JSecurityProposal

Regards,
Alan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
> I like this idea!  We have an application that has a Swing client and
> we talk to the server via Spring remoting.  This shared session idea
> sounds intriguing.  I might have to look into switching to JSecurity!
> :)

If you're interested in the Swing-web session interaction check out
our Spring sample application.  (in the codebase it's under samples/
spring).  It deploys a web application from which you can launch a
webstart Swring app.  You can then update a value on the webpage and
refresh it in the Swing app, or visa-versa.  It shows off the
simplicity of using JSecurity sessions across these two different
environments.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
If you're curious, the two classes end-users use the most are the
Subject (http://www.jsecurity.org/api/org/jsecurity/subject/Subject.html),
and the Session
(http://www.jsecurity.org/api/org/jsecurity/session/Session.html) -
acquired via subject.getSession();

Cheers,

Les

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
The fact that JSecurity is container-agnostic is certainly a
differentiator.  JSecurity aims to support security in any environment.
In fact, we have several users that are using JSecurity in non-web
environments, such as pure-service layers or even Swing applications.

JSecurity also aims to greatly reduce the amount of configuration
required to setup security in an application.  In many cases, JSecurity
can be configured in web-based environments via a single filter
definition.

Another differentiator is that JSecurity provides a session framework
that is not limited to being shared across just web-based applications.
We have users that share sessions across multiple environments, such as
Swing apps talking to a server over Spring remoting or RMI, applets, and
web applications - so they can all share common session information in a
heterogeneous environment.

JSecurity also provides powerful dynamic, instance-level authorization
control.  Essentially JSecurity supports powerful instance-level control
using String-based permissions (or Object-based, depending on
preference/environment).  For example, I could simply grant a user a
"sendNewsletter" permission.  But if I wanted instance level control, I
might grant them the permission "newsletter:send:123" where 123 is the
ID of the newsletter that they are allowed to send.  I could even grant
a user permission to "newsletter:send:*" or "newsletter:send:123,124"
Then when I check to see if the user has the permission for
"newsletter:send:124" JSecurity would grant the authorization.

This simplicity and power is unmatched in any existing security
framework out-of-the-box.

Finally, JSecurity strives for simplicity in all areas.  To this end, it
explicitly supports common security mechanisms used in most applications
such as roles and permissions.  This makes code more readable, limits
the amount of custom coding required, and makes security definitions
very concise and readable.  Despite our goals of simplicity we also aim
for flexibility - so out of the box the framework should be extremely
easy to get up and running, requiring minimal configuration and custom
code.  But for users who have much more advanced needs, JSecurity
provides the pluggability and extensibility to be used for almost any
security application.

Please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Jeremy

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:47 AM, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
wrote

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > There's no uniqueness requirement AFAIK.  Any kind of project can be
> > proposed even if there already exist multiple implementations of a
> similar
> > technology here at the ASF and abroad.
> >

> Perhaps the uniqueness/novel restriction is for Apache Commons
> projects.  Or, perhaps I just made it up out of thin air! :)

Hey, nothing to worry about I thought this for years myself. :)

Alex

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi Craig,
We're definitely happy to have you as a mentor.  Thanks for joining in!

Have you joined the developer list?  I have at least one question to ask you
thus far, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks!

Les

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Alex,

I think the proposal is a good one and has good prospects for success.
No quarrel with anything you've said.

Craig

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 31, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> I've signed on to mentor this project.

Great!

> Maybe there is a "fast track" through the incubator, and this is a
> good project to try it out. Can JSecurity get graduated in six months?

IIUC, all incubator projects are on the "fast track".   I personally
like to see one release under incubation to see the podling in
action.  It's always interesting to see what happens when  people

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> IMHO, the decision on build tools belongs to the community.
>
> I've signed on to mentor this project.
>
> Maybe there is a "fast track" through the incubator, and this is a good
> project to try it out. Can JSecurity get graduated in six months?

This would probably depends on the podling being able to demonstrate
to IPMC that they are ready and they have met the requirements in [1].
Having said that, I have seen podlings that are very active, lots of
users, but having difficulty to really get the Apache Way.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Ant+Ivy vs Maven =)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
<el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Maven vs Ant vs Buildr ?

Who uses Ant or Buildr? ;)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
James Carman wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> There's no uniqueness requirement AFAIK.  Any kind of project can be
>> proposed even if there already exist multiple implementations of a similar
>> technology here at the ASF and abroad.
>>

> Perhaps the uniqueness/novel restriction is for Apache Commons
> projects.  Or, perhaps I just made it up out of thin air! :)

Maven vs Ant vs Buildr ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On May 30, 2008, at 5:27 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM, James Carman
>> <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there something that states that an incubating project needs to
>>> be novel or provide something that's not already provided by another
>>> library (with an open-source license)?  I have looked at the JSecurity
>>> proposal only briefly, but it seems to me that most of what it aims to
>>> provide is already provided by Spring Security (a.k.a. Acegi).
>>> Although, Spring Security is somewhat bound to the Spring framework
>>> (they implement InitializingBean and stuff), so that might be what
>>> JSecurity is trying to provide, a container-agnostic security
>>> framework.
>>>

>> There's no uniqueness requirement AFAIK.  Any kind of project can be
>> proposed even if there already exist multiple implementations of a
>> similar
>> technology here at the ASF and abroad.
>
> Well put.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.
This is also what the incubator is good for ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Day after day, acres of pixels are needlessly harvested because of the
shear hubris in the decision to name this list "general" and not
"gen".    Our planet's oceans just cannot support this unbridled
consumption.  Plus there's of all the megawatts expended just to even
render that extra "eral".  Not to mention all that post-consumer waste
that needs to be dealt with.  I'm sorry but that's not the kind of
legacy I want to leave my children.

I think that it's time that the ASF instantiate a foundation wide
"green" policy and it should start with "jsec".

Regards,
Alan
P.S. TGIF

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Kinda long, IMO.

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
I usually like shorter "code names" for JIRA b/c it is easier to
type.  For example, when looking up a specific issue number using
search or including in SVN comments during commit.

+1 for JSEC in JIRA

(although jsecurity makes sense for mailing lists)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> I prefer JSEC for Jira just because that is what we use now.  It has grown
> on me ;)
>
> If any sub projects come , then JSECSUBA, JSECSUBB, JSECSUBC, etc feel a
> little more digestible (at least in length) than JSECURITY-SUBA, etc.

Yep. We have the same on Directory : DIRSERVER, DIRTSEC, etc...

Mails are somehow a different beast as you won't have more than a few
ML, namely users, commits, dev, private, while you may have a dozen of
JIRA names.

Forget about my proposal.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Makes sense to me Les.

Alex

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Sure, that sounds good to me.  I'll update the proposal...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com> wrote:

> The reason it is not in place now and hasn't been in 3 years is that
> because the vast majority of our community - application and framework
> developers - could care less about JAAS - it is a cumbersome,
> difficult to understand, quirky mechanism.

+1 to that.  Java 2 Security in general is a complete mess.  It's an utterly
convoluted mosaic, parts of which have been pieced together as its flaws
were slowly discovered over time.  I've got far too many bones to pick with
JAAS to inject into this thread, but top on my list is the fact that it's a
complete misnomer: it barely accounts for any kind of AuthZ.  At best, it's
Java's PAM framework.

> I've given presentations on JSecurity and had many discussions in
> private, and I always ask my audience:  "How many people have heard of
> JAAS?"  Maybe 40-50% of the listeners affirm they have.  Then I ask,
> "how many of you have used the JAAS API or its constructs (permissions
> files, etc)?".  That number has been consistently around 1-2%.

Question is, what portion of that 1-2% are involved in writing containers?
:)

> In fact, JAAS was _the_ primary driving factor in what eventually
> became JSecurity:  I had to execute a number of security operations
> for an application, and the only thing out there was JAAS.  I found
> myself drowning in their mish-mash of incomprehensible APIs and
> obscure VM-level security constructs (which I didn't care about - I
> wanted application-level security).

I've had a similar situation and have for some time been searching for a
coherent API to tie together both system, and application space security
with some elegance.  This has lead to some of our work on ApacheDS and
Triplesec [0] at Apache Directory.  Although we might not have the whole
picture yet, we do see some synergy between protocols like Kerberos, LDAP
and general application security.  After all, at some point, applications
are dropped into environments and thats where we see most frameworks loosing
some of their elegance.  As I said, I can't say we have the full picture
yet, but hopefully with JSecurity in the family we can round out that
picture better.

SNIP

> Finally, although not necessarily our initial intentions, I think it
> would be amazing if JSecurity could be a model for a new JSR that
> could supplement or replace what JAAS is today.  I don't know if that
> will ever happen, but if we as an ASF community desire it, then I
> think it would be a great idea for further discussion.

That would be wonderful but we don't need the JCP to bless a coherent API.
The user community will do that for us.  "Build it [well] and they will
come", and eventually it will become the status quo.  The JSR thingy is just
sprinkles on the frosting.

I've been on he hunt for a solid RBAC API that fits well with Java 2
security, while being simple, and easy to use for application developers for
some time now.  At the same time I've wanted it to have enough granularity
to be able to expose policies expressed in SAML/XACML.  I've tried designing
one several times, and found several shortcomings after looking at
integrating it into the big picture.  Hopefully something worth while will
emerge soon.  That's my technical hope for JSecurity, which eventually I'd
like to roll into Apache Triplesec.  My hopes for this podling and its
community are independent from my technical aspirations and so the community
can still succeed where the technical aims may fail.  Hopefully though we
can kill many birds with one stone.

Alex

P.S. this my AuthZ bible [1].

-------
[0] - http://directory.apache.org/triplesec
[1] -
http://www.amazon.com/Role-Based-Access-Control-Second-Ferraiolo/dp/1596931132

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> In fact, JAAS was _the_ primary driving factor in what eventually
> became JSecurity:  I had to execute a number of security operations
> for an application, and the only thing out there was JAAS.  I found
> myself drowning in their mish-mash of incomprehensible APIs and
> obscure VM-level security constructs (which I didn't care about - I
> wanted application-level security).  So, I wrote an alternative that
> only worked in that current application (covered in the Project
> History on our About page: http://www.jsecurity.org/about), and
> changed it over time to be flexible for any application.

JSPWiki uses JAAS.

It's consistently been the single biggest source of user problems for
us.  Or was, until we rewrote big portions of the API to get rid of
JAR signing and the "one policy per VM" rules (and a bunch of other
small annoyances which kept us tearing our hairs out and made
everybody pester us).  JAAS works for us now, because there's almost
none of it left anymore.  We still interface with it, but it took a
long time to make it user-friendly and relatively zero-config.

I personally applaud any attempt to actually make an usable, generic
and flexible security system, and it would be wonderful if Apache
could offer that.

/Janne

RE: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:

> I've given presentations on JSecurity and had many discussions in
> private, and I always ask my audience:  "How many people have heard
> of JAAS?"  Maybe 40-50% of the listeners affirm they have.  Then I
> ask, "how many of you have used the JAAS API or its constructs
> (permissions files, etc)?".  That number has been consistently
> around 1-2%.

Right.  But that is probably because most of the other 98%-99% of JEE developers rely on container-managed access, and don't write any security code.  If anything, they might make a role-check in UI code to see what navigation options to offer.  The percentage of JEE developers who need more than container-managed, role-based, authorization is relatively low, although for those who need it, it is essential.

Container-managed security fails at the instance level, e.g., the container can restrict access to the ClientAccount bean methods to the Customer role, but does not enforce WHICH customer login can access WHICH bean instance.  What is JSecurity's approach, and what would it look like for the lookup (JNDI) and injection (annotation) models?

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Full JAAS integration is desired for the 1.0 final release to support
those who actually implement containers.  JSecurity is usable in all
containers today, both web and non-web today, just not via JAAS yet.

[...]

The end result is a framework that is far more desirable for the huge
majority of people that write applications.  In fact, in the history
of the project, I've only come across 2 or 3 indications that an
effort for full JAAS support is desired - two over a year ago and now
in this thread.  So, you can see why we haven't spent much time in
actually accomplishing this.

But, all of this being said, we have _always_ expected to integrate
very nicely with JAAS in either way:  JAAS sits on top of JSecurity or
JSecurity on top of JAAS, using whatever JAAS integration mechanisms
that exist.  We're hoping with our adoption in the ASF community, that
people will join the project to assist in this effort specifically.
The JSecurity API has been designed such that JAAS integration,
whenever needed, would be a simple task.  That has always been in the
back of our minds, 'just in case'.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Just a clarification:

JSecurity can be used in any environment - web or not, container or
not.  The reason why the Filter approach is best known is that it is
the easiest to set up - Filters allow an 'interceptor' mechanism that
is common to any web container.  When not using a Filter, you must use
AOP/interceptor mechanisms often specific to the containers themselves
- but it can be done (and is done) in environments today.

So, there is no limitation based on environment.  I've even had
end-users say they're using JSecurity in a cell phone!

Cheers,

Les

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I also see that JSecurity web support relies on a return to
> > application-level security based on a filter, rather than rely on
container
> > management, which has evolved as a cornerstone of Java programming.
> >  The reliance on a filter is probably because JSecurity is not (yet?)
integrated
> > with the Java standards in the security space.
>
> I've been watching this proposal because I'm very interested in
> JSecurity as a whole, but I think Noel raises an interesting point
> here.  At least in Websphere, you can have container-managed security on
> the method-level for EJBs, which doesn't have to be called form a
> webapp, so a filter-based approach couldn't provide this.  I'd LOVE to
> be able to get rid of IBM's security subsystem and replace it with
> JSecurity, but if it can't allow the same sort of thing then I can't do
> that.

Orthogonal issue, but potentially instructive -- what don't you like about
IBM's subsystem?  FWIW, container-managed, role-based, authorization on web
contraints and EJB method permissions is straight from the specifications.

> Is that capability, or lack thereof, a limitation inherent in the
> approach JSecurity has taken, or is it just a case of a feature
> that is planned for down the road?

Possibly the latter, if they were to provide support for JACC
(http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaacc/) aka JSR-115
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=115).

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.