Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/13 03:14:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] OpenOffice Track: ApacheCon Europe

By now everyone must be aware that the CFP system will be closing tomorrow,
August 13th. We'll have an idea of what was submitted this week. In the
meantime, let's have a discussion about how we want to shape our track
beyond those proposals.

Here's an outline to get the discussion moving...

REMEMBER, this is our conference track to shape was we wish. We have a fair
amount of flexibility within the overall framework of ApacheCon. At this
point, let's conceive of this as a 2-day affair nested within the 4 days of
ApacheCon.

Keynote(s)
a) PMC Chair (let's plan on graduation as a fact by early November, so we
would ask our Chair to anchor the track keynote
b) I/T Leader responsible for OpenOffice user communities
c)

Meetups with other projects:
a) Shindig/Rave
b) Chemistry
c) POI,Tika, PDFbox
d) ...

Hackathons
-- topics?

Social
a) Fora
b) National community groups: ...

Other Topics?

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenOffice Track: ApacheCon Europe

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Monday, August 13, 2012, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 13/08/2012 Donald Harbison wrote:
>
>> By now everyone must be aware that the CFP system will be closing
>> tomorrow,
>> August 13th. We'll have an idea of what was submitted this week.
>>

> As I already wrote, please count me in as a reviewer if needed (for
> proposals submitted by others, of course).

OK thanks.

>  Keynote(s)
>> a) PMC Chair (let's plan on graduation as a fact by early November, so we
>> would ask our Chair to anchor the track keynote
>> b) I/T Leader responsible for OpenOffice user communities
>> c)
>>

> If "b" is not the Release Manager (the task Juergen is currently doing)
> then a keynote by the Release Manager is helpful too.
>
> And for "c", in previous editions of the OOoCon it was common that someone
> who had adopted OpenOffice on a large scale would give a keynote
> presentation.

Yes, that's what I had in mind with 'b', so we're thinking along the same
lines, so to speak.

>  Hackathons
>> -- topics?
>>

> The main OpenOffice website http://www.openoffice.org/ needs a lot of
> reorganization and cleanup... This could be an occasion to work on it.

Excellent suggestion!

Posted by Louis R Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
As mentioned, I'd also be available to reviewing

I missed the deadline for submitting my own presentation. As I'm less involved in AOO than before, okay; but I'd still be open to reviewing others' submissions.
Louis

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By now everyone must be aware that the CFP system will be closing tomorrow,
> August 13th. We'll have an idea of what was submitted this week. In the
> meantime, let's have a discussion about how we want to shape our track
> beyond those proposals.
>
> Here's an outline to get the discussion moving...
>
> REMEMBER, this is our conference track to shape was we wish. We have a fair
> amount of flexibility within the overall framework of ApacheCon. At this
> point, let's conceive of this as a 2-day affair nested within the 4 days of
> ApacheCon.
>
> Keynote(s)
> a) PMC Chair (let's plan on graduation as a fact by early November, so we
> would ask our Chair to anchor the track keynote

If it is a two-day conference we could have a keynote each day.  The
PMC Chair could be a full keynote, or even just some short welcoming
remarks to open the conference.

> b) I/T Leader responsible for OpenOffice user communities

Also known as ICT.    Do we have someone in mind?

> c)
>

> Meetups with other projects:
> a) Shindig/Rave
> b) Chemistry
> c) POI,Tika, PDFbox
> d) ...

Maybe ODF Toolkit (incubating) as well.

Could be worth having a 1 hour (or 45 minute or whatever the normal
session time is) to talk with each of these projects.  Or could be
informal.

> Hackathons
> -- topics?
>
> Social
> a) Fora
> b) National community groups: ...
>
> Other Topics?

Maybe set aside 60-90 minutes for a series of 5-minute "lighting
talks". which could include short demos, etc.,  These can be fun.

Maybe discussion sessions for build, install, qa, localization, web,
security, marketing, UI, etc.  In some cases we might have formal
presentations in these areas.  But where we don't, and even where we
do, it might be worth having time set aside for discussion.

-Rob

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenOffice Track: ApacheCon Europe

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Donald Harbison <dpharbison@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > By now everyone must be aware that the CFP system will be closing
> tomorrow,
> > August 13th. We'll have an idea of what was submitted this week. In the
> > meantime, let's have a discussion about how we want to shape our track
> > beyond those proposals.
> >

> I'm assuming this CFP closed for real this time.  So in order to avoid
> confusion I'll replace the announcement banner we have on the website
> with another one, encouraging users to sign up for the announcement
> list so they will be notified about when AOO 3.4.1 is available.  We
> can then replace that with the real 3.4.1 announcement when available.

Thanks Rob.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.