Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2009/07/31 13:31:01 UTC

Re: [3.1] Certain requests take a long time to create themselves for no apparent reason

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 06:42:36PM +1200, Andrew Thorburn wrote:
> I'm having trouble figuring out why, when using SOAP UI to send
> requests from my machine to a remote one, it takes a long time to run.
> Now, it takes a while to get the response back, as the machine isn't
> exactly fast, but the problem is that there's another bottleneck
> somewhere, in that despite it taking < 1 second, on average, to
> complete a request, the Transactions Per Second is distinctly below 1.
>
> Looking at the logs, I find that two particular lines are roughly 800
> ms apart, which seems very, very odd as they're not part of the actual
> request. This *never* happens when my local machine targets my local
> machine, only when I'm targeting a particular remote one.
>
> Log lines for my local machine:
>
> 18:29:33,518 DEBUG [DefaultHttpParams] Set parameter
> http.protocol.version = HTTP/1.1
> 18:29:33,518 DEBUG [DefaultHttpParams] Set parameter http.socket.timeout = 60000
> 18:29:33,595 TRACE [PostMethod] enter PostMethod.clearRequestBody()
> 18:29:33,595 TRACE [EntityEnclosingMethod] enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.clearRequestBody()
> 18:29:33,601 TRACE [EntityEnclosingMethod] enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.renerateRequestBody()
> 18:29:33,601 TRACE [HttpClient] enter
> HttpClient.executeMethod(HostConfiguration,HttpMethod,HttpState)
> 18:29:33,601 DEBUG [SoapUIMultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager]
> HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
> HostConfiguration[host=https://localhost:8181], timeout = 0
> 18:29:33,602 DEBUG [SoapUIMultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager] Getting
> free connection,
> hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=https://localhost:8181]
>
> For the remote machine:
>
> 18:36:14,504 DEBUG [DefaultHttpParams] Set parameter
> http.protocol.version = HTTP/1.1
> 18:36:14,504 DEBUG [DefaultHttpParams] Set parameter http.socket.timeout = 60000
> 18:36:15,427 TRACE [PostMethod] enter PostMethod.clearRequestBody()
> 18:36:15,427 TRACE [EntityEnclosingMethod] enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.clearRequestBody()
> 18:36:15,427 TRACE [EntityEnclosingMethod] enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.renerateRequestBody()
> 18:36:15,428 TRACE [HttpClient] enter
> HttpClient.executeMethod(HostConfiguration,HttpMethod,HttpState)
> 18:36:15,428 DEBUG [SoapUIMultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager]
> HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
> HostConfiguration[host=https://192.168.2.71:8181], timeout = 0
> 18:36:15,430 DEBUG [SoapUIMultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager] Getting
> free connection,
> hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=https://192.168.2.71:8181]
>
> See how it takes nearly a second to get from logging the timeout to
> logging the clearRequestBody() message? Any idea what could possibly
> cause this?
>
> I'm assuming that it must be communicating with the server in some
> fashion,

No, it is not. HttpClient does not even have a connection allocated at that
point. The delay must be caused by some logic in SOAPUI.

Oleg

 but I'm not really sure why/how - if someone could give me a

Posted by Andrew Thorburn <nz...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough. Thanks for your response. I'll go back to the SOAP UI
people and see if anyone there has any idea what's going on.

- Andrew Thorburn