Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2018/01/12 06:34:19 UTC

Re: New Cayenne website design

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 6:57 PM, Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Also anyone remembers, did we come up with a better slogan to replace "ORM
>> with character"?
>>

> "Persist your world"?

I like the sound of it, but would like the slogan to be more ORM specific.

> "Relational persistence and modeling for Java"?

That's descriptive.

A few more random thoughts:

"ORM - the good parts"
"ORM .. the way it was meant to be" (too pretentious?)
"smooth Java ORM"

Andrus

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Another one suggested by a colleague: "Your ORM superpower".

I kinda like it compared to other options. It is non-confrontational and to the point :)

Andrus

Posted by Lon Varscsak <lo...@gmail.com>.
"pretentious and judgmental" is my middle name! ;)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> Possible tagline: "A data oriented Java ORM that people love"

This is actually a good one. I'd use it when we get tired of the current "superpower" tagline :)

Andrus

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Sure, but then I have to specifically type "site:cayenne.apache.org" in
addition to my search terms.  It is just a user-convenience.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> Just a little thing (unrelated to website design), the 3.1.2 is out since a while, but the release notes says that is not yet released

Yeah, that's an artifact of the release process workflow. When we create a Git tag, we don't yet know the official release date which would happen a week or two in the future. Of course the date eventually added to the branch: https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/STABLE-3.1/docs/doc/src/main/resources/RELEASE-NOTES.txt . Other branches have the same issue.

I guess we can use the tag date as the release date in the RELEASE-NOTES and add this step to the release guide (?)

Andrus

Posted by Amedeo Mantica <am...@me.com>.
really cool!

Congrats

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Finally built/ran the new web site design.  I really like the overall look
and functionality except for...

At the top is a dark bar with "Apache Software Foundation v / Apache
Cayenne" and then immediately below it in the red bar is "APACHE CAYENNE".
Seems a bit redundant to me.  Can we fold the Apache branding into the red
bar and then get rid of the redundant "Apache Cayenne" text?  The dark bar
is taking up a lot of space without adding a lot of value.

Also, under the key features, if you click on a topic, such as "Extension
API", it doesn't update the browser's URL, but hovering over it does show a
"#extension-api" link.  However, if you right-click it and open in a new
tab/window, it doesn't take you to the extension API even though the URL
has the anchor segment.

mrg

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.