Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Lister Jonathan <jo...@vaisala.com> on 2020/03/02 14:09:15 UTC

RE: Apache Netbeans 11.2 Availablility for ARM64 (Raspberry Pi 4B)?

I have used (embedded ARM) Java on many different Raspberry Pi models, starting with the original right up to the latest, and have always been satisfied, sometimes delighted, even with JavaFX projects.
A couple of tips that you may have already realized:
a) all models of Pi allow you to configure a (volatile) ram disc - much faster than using the SD card and avoids too many read/write cycles which can eventually damage the SD card.
b) later models (4) of the Pi support 2 x USB3 with a dedicated controller, max (combined) 480Mb/s - so you can easily connect and use fast non-volatile USB3 storage devices.
c) So far I haven't typically needed an IDE on the Pi but have instead used the NetBeans Remote Java SE feature that allows you to develop on a desktop and deploy / debug on the target device (Pi). Unfortunately NetBeans doesn't support Remote Java SE for maven based projects, only Ant projects - Maven support for Remote Java SE would be my top priority wish for future NB development ;-)

Good luck with the Pi,
Jonathan