Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Stefan Thorbjørn Blixen-Finecke <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/27 22:54:20 UTC

Zeppelin and R

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

Is the best way to get an R interpreter in Zeppelin the guide below?

https://github.com/datalayer/zeppelin-R <https://github.com/datalayer/zeppelin-R>

I’ve followed the instructions provided and set up an interpreter within Zeppelin as pr. https://zeppelin.incubator.apache.org/docs/development/writingzeppelininterpreter.html <https://zeppelin.incubator.apache.org/docs/development/writingzeppelininterpreter.html>

However I can only run a command once successfully before the interpreter fails (for the same command) with the following (from the log file):

 INFO [2015-09-27 20:11:27,856] ({pool-2-thread-2} RInterpreter.java[interpret]:101) - Run R command 'R.version.string'
ERROR [2015-09-27 20:11:29,137] ({pool-2-thread-2} RInterpreter.java[interpret]:130) - Exception while connecting to Rserve
org.rosuda.REngine.Rserve.RserveException: voidEval failed
	at org.rosuda.REngine.Rserve.RConnection.voidEval(RConnection.java:209)
	at io.datalayer.zeppelin.R.RInterpreter.interpret(RInterpreter.java:117)

The interpreter has to be restarted from the zeppelin interpreter menu before it can execute another command. Has anyone had any luck setting this up? If yes, where any additional steps required?

Best regards
Stefan

Re: Zeppelin and R

Posted by Stefan Thorbjørn Blixen-Finecke <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Thank you for providing the r interpreter integration in the below repository and all your help with configuring it:

https://github.com/Peaceful-learner/incubator-zeppelin/tree/rinterpreter <https://github.com/Peaceful-learner/incubator-zeppelin/tree/rinterpreter>

The integration of graphics output and SparkR works really well!

In case others find it helpful, setting it up required the following steps (for me at least, on OS X) which Ashish kindly guided me through:

Install the following R packages:

evaluate (required to compile the code in the repository)
devtools
ggtools2
googleVis
knitr
base64enc
htmltools

and repr,rCharts and devtools using:

library(devtools)
devtools::install_github("IRkernel/repr”)
devtools::install_github('apache/spark@v1.4.1', subdir='R/pkg’)
devtools::install_github('rCharts', 'ramnathv')

clone the repository and switch to the rinterpreter branch.

build using:

mvn clean package -DskipTests

and finally add org.apache.zeppelin.rinterpreter.RRepl,org.apache.zeppelin.rinterpreter.KnitR to the list of interpreters in the conf/zeppelin-site.xml file and start zeppelin - no need to create or copy any jars into interpreter/r.

the interpreter is then available as %spark.r.

Best regards
Stefan

Re: Zeppelin and R

Posted by Leonardo Foderaro <st...@gmail.com>.
glad to know that my code is working not only on my machine lol

that's an interesting point about multiple R statements without the need of
a separator, ideally it should work as close as possible to the plain R
console.

also, since we're talking about implementation details probably we should
better continue the discussion on dev@ instead of users@.

thanks,
leo

Re: Zeppelin and R