Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/28 16:46:00 UTC

Mailet sub-packages

> Given all of these additions to the Mail API, (all good stuff,) perhaps
> we should think about making some sub-packages of o.a.mailet?

Actually, I think so, but perhaps not the same way that you anticipate.  I'd
like to see us ensure that the base "Mailet" package is protocol neutral.
The current package has started incrementally tying itself to SMTP and MIME.
I'd like us to take a similar approach to the servlet and servlet.http
packages.

	--- Noel

RE: Mailet sub-packages

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Serge Knystautas write:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Actually, I think so, but perhaps not the same way that you anticipate.
I'd
> > like to see us ensure that the base "Mailet" package is protocol
neutral.

> Protocol neutral?  What does that mean?  I assume we keep it focused on
> spool processing (messaging in general) and MimeMessages.  Are you
> suggesting we decouple from email addresses?  What else would you change?

Consider XMPP, which uses XML streams.  Likewise, the XMPP IETF draft spec
currently adds something to the e-mail address.  They format it as
user@host/resource.  We could contact them, and encourage them to change it
to adhere to localpart@host, and encode the resource in the localpart.

In any event, the point is simply that we have senders, recipients, message
content at the abstract, and then concrete RFC specifications of sender,
recipient, and content formats.

This is *not* a radical refactoring.  Just a basic recognition of
generalization and specialization.  I'm not married to how we do it, but I
do think that it should be accommodated.

	--- Noel

Re: Mailet sub-packages

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Actually, I think so, but perhaps not the same way that you anticipate.  I'd
> like to see us ensure that the base "Mailet" package is protocol neutral.

Protocol neutral?  What does that mean?  I assume we keep it focused on
spool processing (messaging in general) and MimeMessages.  Are you
suggesting we decouple from email addresses?  What else would you change?

> The current package has started incrementally tying itself to SMTP and MIME.
> I'd like us to take a similar approach to the servlet and servlet.http
> packages.

servlet and servlet.http?  If this was done in the name of protocol
neutrality, it has to rank up there as one of the worst design decision
in the history of Java APIs.  It's one of the most widely adopted APIs
yet NOBODY has used with another protocol aside from http...

--
Serge Knystautas
President