Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by jan meskens <ja...@pandora.be> on 2005/12/28 00:57:34 UTC

Jakarta subproject-package system

Hello everyone,

I am currently discussing the Jakarta project charter and have a few
questions about the structure of the whole jakarta-subproject-package
system. I am a bit confused about the terminology used in the charter. :

<quote>
"Apache-Java and Jakarta originally hosted product-based subprojects,
consisting of one major deliverable. The Java language however is
package-based, and most of these products have many usefull utilities.
Some products are beginning to break these out so that they can be used
independently. A Jakarta subproject to solely create and maintain
independent packages is proposed to accelerate and guide this process"
</quote>

My questions about this :

1) The jakarta project has subprojects and each subproject consists of
different java-packages. Originally these packages hava one major
deliverable but due to the package-based system they have now many
usefull utilities. Is that correct ?

2) "Some products are beginning to break...  ": Do they mean a
'subproject' is breaking out or a 'package' is breaking out ?

3) I don't understand the last sentence, is there a sepparate subproject
with a controlling function over the different packages from other
subprojects? If so, is that subproject the 'Apache Incubator' project ?

Thanks in advance,

----
Jan Meskens
Student Computer Science

Re: Jakarta subproject-package system

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 09:55 -0100, jan meskens wrote:
> Hello Henri,
>
> I was looking to these page :
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html
>
> Maybe that's the wrong page for these info... .

not wrong probably just a little confusing

the jakarta commons charter encapsulates the opinions of the jakarta pmc
at that particular moment in time.

- robert

Re: Jakarta subproject-package system

Posted by jan meskens <ja...@pandora.be>.
Hello Henri,

I was looking to these page :
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

Maybe that's the wrong page for these info... .

Jan

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Hi Jan,