Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> on 2017/08/10 22:35:24 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Move github notifications to a separate mailing list

As you have surely noticed already, all the github notifications are being
sent to
this mailing list (dev@pulsar.incubator.apache.org).
This results in a big amount of mails sent to the list (one for each
comment made on issues or PRs and also when commits are pushed to the PRs).

I would propose to use a different mailing list for these notification, in
order to
split the "real" discussions on the dev list from the noise of the
notiifcations.

Most people are already receiving notifications from github anyway, and you
can
always subscribe to both lists and receive the same messages as now.

The question would be which mailing list should we be using for that?
 * commits@pulsar.incubator.apache.org ? This is already existing and
mostly unused (just SVN dist commits notifications are sent here)
 * or create a new list, like issues@pulsar.incubator.apache.org or
github@pulsar.incubator.apache.org ?

I think that, from the ASF perspective, this shouldn't pose any problem,
since the primary object is to archive these messages in an ASF list, not
necessarily dev@.
Mentors, please comment on this aspect.

Thanks,
Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<mm...@apache.org>

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
Since there were no complains.. :)

I've created an INFRA ticket to send notifications to commits@ list.

Matteo

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Commits@ exists. Let's use that. If another name like notifications@ is
> preferred then ask Infra to change the name.
>
> Either way make sure it is set to reply-to dev@.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 10, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > As you have surely noticed already, all the github notifications are
> being
> > sent to
> > this mailing list (dev@pulsar.incubator.apache.org).
> > This results in a big amount of mails sent to the list (one for each
> > comment made on issues or PRs and also when commits are pushed to the
> PRs).
> >
> > I would propose to use a different mailing list for these notification,
> in
> > order to
> > split the "real" discussions on the dev list from the noise of the
> > notiifcations.
> >
> > Most people are already receiving notifications from github anyway, and
> you
> > can
> > always subscribe to both lists and receive the same messages as now.
> >
> > The question would be which mailing list should we be using for that?
> > * commits@pulsar.incubator.apache.org ? This is already existing and
> > mostly unused (just SVN dist commits notifications are sent here)
> > * or create a new list, like issues@pulsar.incubator.apache.org or
> > github@pulsar.incubator.apache.org ?
> >
> > I think that, from the ASF perspective, this shouldn't pose any problem,
> > since the primary object is to archive these messages in an ASF list, not
> > necessarily dev@.
> > Mentors, please comment on this aspect.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Matteo