Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/11/17 07:51:02 UTC

Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

Hello Gilles,

Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016 um
00:38 Uhr:

> Hello.
>
> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>
>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>
> fails with
> ---
> Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy (default-deploy)
> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
> [Help 1]
> ---
>
> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
> the "public" modules of the component).
>
> How does one specify that the module should be built but not deployed?

Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do the
trick for you?

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:38:50 +0000, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> I guess it's only relevant if you were to build a sub-module
> independently from the source archive - if it is not deployed then
> you
> would have to build commons-rng-build-tools locally first.

This is easily done anyway, with "mvn install".

> Normally as
> the rest of the module is deployed to Central it would work fine to
> compile just a submodule.
>
> I don't see a problem with commons-rng-build-tools being deployed

But why deploy this "module" if we can avoid it?

It contains configuration files that only impact the web site
generation (reports), so that changing the web site would entail
changing the version of that module... :-(

> as
> long as we don't document it - we don't need to support API
> compatibility here.  If you want to make sure, perhaps they could be
> made a test jar?

IIUC, Artem made this module to simplify the other modules' POM.
If in exchange, we have to create an additional JAR, it rather
complicates the build (if just by the questions being raised).

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I guess it's only relevant if you were to build a sub-module
independently from the source archive - if it is not deployed then you
would have to build commons-rng-build-tools locally first. Normally as
the rest of the module is deployed to Central it would work fine to
compile just a submodule.

I don't see a problem with commons-rng-build-tools being deployed as

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-moduleproject)?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 07:51:02 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hello Gilles,
>
> Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016
> um
> 00:38 Uhr:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>>
>>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>>
>> fails with
>> ---
>> Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy
>> (default-deploy)
>> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
>> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
>> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
>> [Help 1]
>> ---
>>
>> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
>> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
>> the "public" modules of the component).
>>
>> How does one specify that the module should be built but not
>> deployed?
>>

> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do
> the
> trick for you?