Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de> on 2019/10/22 16:17:48 UTC

OT Developer Praise - was Re: EOL for Tomcat 9.X ?

On 22.10.19 17:56, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2019-10-22 um 16:43 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>>
>> So Tomcat 9 is looking good for aother 10 years at this point.
>
> ...and this is the reason why I appreciate the Tomcat devs' work. I
> can simply stick to a version and virtually forget about compat issues.

For me the reason is that I've never worried which version to pick:
Always picked the latest available and never ran into issues where the
newer version was imposing problems when used instead of the earlier
version. And that includes major version upgrades

Big Thank You!

Olaf

Re: OT Developer Praise - was Re: EOL for Tomcat 9.X ?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Olaf,

On 10/22/19 12:17, Olaf Kock wrote:

> On 22.10.19 17:56, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2019-10-22 um 16:43 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>>>
>>> So Tomcat 9 is looking good for aother 10 years at this point.
>>
>> ...and this is the reason why I appreciate the Tomcat devs' work. I
>> can simply stick to a version and virtually forget about compat issues.
>>
> For me the reason is that I've never worried which version to pick:
> Always picked the latest available and never ran into issues where the
> newer version was imposing problems when used instead of the earlier
> version. And that includes major version upgrades

FWIW, I'm a (minor) Tomcat developer and I move VERY slowly. When I
joined the list back in 2013, I was running Tomcat 4.something. Between
then and now, I upgraded to each and every major version of Tomcat that
was available only after about a year of testing in development.

When I started my upgrade march, I think Tomcat 7 was just about to be
released. That's when I upgraded to Tomcat 5.0 (or maybe I skipped to
5.5). Then 6.0, then 7.0, then 8.0, and only with our most recent major
release -- about a year ago -- did we move to 8.5.

We are looking at 9.0, now, but it's not actually in any testing
environments at this point.

We only use standard servlet-2.0-style stuff so we aren't upgrading for
any new features like Websocket, async, etc.

> Big Thank You!

I'll be at B-Sides DC this weekend if anyone wants to buy me a beer. :)

-chris

PS They just released the dev preview of Java 14. I'm already 6 versions
behind....

Re: OT Developer Praise - was Re: EOL for Tomcat 9.X ?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Olaf,