Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2016/11/11 09:31:02 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] China Contribution.

(note mixed private/public lists)
Julian Hyde wrote on 11/11/16 8:31 AM:
> I like the way that Reynold is coming at this.
>
> I am aware of the rule mandating English for discussions. But in the
> interests of having no more rules than are strictly necessary, is it
> not sufficient to tell PMCs (and PPMCs): "Do whatever you believe
> will engage the largest possible community."

For user@ lists and places where a project is helping end users solve
problems, that makes sense, as long as it's archived.

For the development side of the project (making decisions
collaboratively, equitably deciding on new committers, not favoring
vendors, etc.), how can the ASF provide proper oversight of that
project, given that we don't have sufficient Chinese language skills
across our Membership, officers, or our board?

My first reaction is that Apache is a great place - but it's not the
right place for every project.  On the big picture I definitely would
love to see more well-run open source in China.  But I wonder if we as
an organization have the governance capacity to be effective at doing
this directly.  (I.e. there are plenty of individual Members who are
helping there; just not sure that means these should be Apache projects
yet).

Does that make sense?  This also would be a great topic for the
Community Development project to work on for a while: what other,
general ways can we help non-English language communities better learn
about effective open source governance?

- Shane