Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Jacob Tomaw <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/26 17:44:16 UTC

AsyncWeb Request Encoder

Hi,

Why was US-ASCII chosen as the request encoding?  My understanding of the
spec does not specify the charset.  We have a need for our bodies to be
encoded using UTF-8 and I could imagine others needs different encodings.
Should HttpRequestEncoder.encode be overloaded to allow other encodings to
be used?  Or should a a more encompasing charset like UTF-8 be used.  I was
supprised to see the default URL encoding is UTF-8.

--
Jacob Tomaw
tfl:The Flatiron Life (http://tomaw.com)

Re: AsyncWeb Request Encoder

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Jacob Tomaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why was US-ASCII chosen as the request encoding?  My understanding of the
> spec does not specify the charset.  We have a need for our bodies to be
> encoded using UTF-8 and I could imagine others needs different encodings.
> Should HttpRequestEncoder.encode be overloaded to allow other encodings to
> be used?  Or should a a more encompasing charset like UTF-8 be used.  I was
> supprised to see the default URL encoding is UTF-8.

I think that the very first versions didn't cared at all about the
encoding. Dave, Timothy, Alex ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com