Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by jr...@redhat.com on 2011/03/30 22:35:45 UTC

0.10 release notes draft, features and improvements

Hi, everyone.

This is part one in a two-part series.  I'm first tackling the features
and improvements from the following jira query, also linked on the
release page[1]:

   http://bit.ly/h3Q7Sk

Some of the jiras listed there are unresolved.  I ignored those.  If any
of those should be marked resolved, please make the change and I'll add
them to the release notes.

I'm looking for feedback about:

   - What's missing
   - What's incorrect
   - What needs expansion; many things here could use it
   - And, well, anything else at all

Thanks,
Justin

h1. 0.10 Release Notes - Draft

h2. Features and improvements

  - QPID-529: The C++ broker now supports priority-ordered message
    queueing.

  - QPID-1916: The Java release now includes Maven artifacts for the
    Java client.

  - QPID-2104: The C++ broker has an improved last-value queue
    implementation.

  - QPID-2921: In the C++ broker, message completion is now an asynchronous
    operation in more situations.

  - QPID-2934: C++ QMF agents can now authorize incoming method calls using
    an authentication ID passed with the corresponding message.

  - QPID-2935: The C++ broker and client now implement flow control by
    default.  Related: QPID-3081.

  - QPID-2958: The .NET binding to the C++ client now targets an older
    version of the .NET Framework, 2.0, for broader compatibility.

  - QPID-2966: The C++ broker now allows administrators to alter
    logging levels at runtime.

  - QPID-3000: The C++ broker now optionally waits a configured time
    before removing auto-delete queues.

  - QPID-3002: The C++ broker now generates alerts when queues reach a
    certain depth.

  - QPID-3015: The C++ broker now supports creating queues and
    exchanges via QMF.

  - QPID-3031: The C++ client now allows setting the SSL certificate
    name in the connection options.

  - QPID-3032: You can now use more fine-grained ACLs to control QMF
    operations on the C++ broker.

  - QPID-3067: Examples using the old messaging API have been isolated
    under a common directory.

  - QPID-3115: Some cases where the C++ and python clients' connection
    options differed have been reconciled.

h2. Things I passed over

These either read to me more like small-ball tasks than items needing
mention in the release notes or were something I explicitly wanted to
avoid mentioning.

I've listed them here so folks can differ.
  - QPID-2777: Additional bindings for the C++ messaging API (Python,
    Ruby)

    [Not an explicitly supported API; should we mention it?]

  - QPID-3039: explicitly define the included debug info instead of
    relying on defaults which can differ between compilers

  - QPID-3057: New Visual Studio solution to build
    org.apache.qpid.messaging.sessionreceiver separately

  - QPID-3089: add method/function to get a descriptive string for
    VariantType enumeration

  - QPID-2939: Qpid .NET Messaging Binding has stray references and
    using statements

---
[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.10+Release

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: 0.10 release notes draft, features and improvements

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/30/2011 04:35 PM, jross@redhat.com wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> This is part one in a two-part series. I'm first tackling the features and
> improvements from the following jira query, also linked on the release page[1]:
>
> http://bit.ly/h3Q7Sk
>
> Some of the jiras listed there are unresolved. I ignored those. If any of those
> should be marked resolved, please make the change and I'll add them to the
> release notes.
>
> I'm looking for feedback about:
>
> - What's missing

There's been a general improvement in cluster stability. There isn't a single
JIRA for that, its spread out over a number of bugs.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
Hi Justin,

> This is part one in a two-part series. I'm first tackling the features
> and improvements from the following jira query, also linked on the
> release page[1]:
<snip>

> I'm looking for feedback about:

<snip>
> - What needs expansion; many things here could use it
<snip>

> - QPID-2935: The C++ broker and client now implement flow control by
> default. Related: QPID-3081.

FWIW:
There's a whole section dedicated to this feature in the qpid/doc/book/... CPP broker docs.  Doesn't appear on the website's documentation yet (?), but could be worth adding a link in the release notes when it does.

thanks,

-K

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org