Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by uromahn <ul...@ulrichromahn.net> on 2014/05/13 20:01:16 UTC

Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Hi Folks,

just wanted  to throw a bone out seeing if anyone catches it and responds.

I was wondering whether ActiveMQ has any intention to support the JMS 2.0
API specification which is part of JEE7 and has been released almost a year
ago (May 21, 2013).

JMS 2.0 has some significant improvements over JMS 1.1 and I believe
supporting it in ActiveMQ soon may improve its popularity within the Java
community.

Based on my current investigation, the only options for JMS 2.0 support seem
to be HornetQ (JBoss) and Open MQ (Glassfish) and Fiorano MQ.

So, is there any interest in supporting JMS 2.0 in the near future? I would
love to contribute but my current day-job just doesn't give me enough time.
:(

Ideas, comments, suggestions?
-Uli

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM, uromahn <ul...@ulrichromahn.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> just wanted  to throw a bone out seeing if anyone catches it and responds.
>
> I was wondering whether ActiveMQ has any intention to support the JMS 2.0
> API specification which is part of JEE7 and has been released almost a year
> ago (May 21, 2013).
>
> JMS 2.0 has some significant improvements over JMS 1.1 and I believe
> supporting it in ActiveMQ soon may improve its popularity within the Java
> community.
>
> Based on my current investigation, the only options for JMS 2.0 support seem
> to be HornetQ (JBoss) and Open MQ (Glassfish) and Fiorano MQ.
>
> So, is there any interest in supporting JMS 2.0 in the near future? I would
> love to contribute but my current day-job just doesn't give me enough time.
> :(

JMS 2.0 is not on the radar for ActiveMQ 5.10.
And I think people are too busy with getting the final fixes and
whatnot needed for that release.

I suggest you log a JIRA ticket about JMS 2.0 support, if not already
there. And use its voting system, so people can say they want this.

Also what is there in JMS 2.0 from "broker point of view". eg for
client there is a simpler api. But what is there on the broker side?

Also a lot of other protocols these days get attention than just JMS.
eg MQTT, AMQP, etc. IMHO these are more important in the future, than
traditional JMS. And most clients/brokers is already 1.1 compliant.

So I don't see this as a show stopper that 2.0 must be support in the
very near future.

But sure it would be great for ActiveMQ to support that too.

> Ideas, comments, suggestions?
> -Uli

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/19/2014 06:35 PM, uromahn wrote:
> Hmm, from the deafening silence I must assume that either of the two things
> happened:
> 1. People didn't read my post for some reason (and hence I am replying to my
> own post to refresh this post), or
> 2. There is no appetite supporting JMS 2.0 in ActiveMQ and hence people
> ignored my post.
>
> Anyways, if I won't see any feedback or comments to this post, I have to
> assume that ActiveMQ will be a "dead-end" with regards to JMS 2.0 (and
> future versions of JMS).

Though its not exactly what you are asking about, there is work underway
in the Qpid project (also at Apache) to provide a JMS 2.0 client for
AMQP 1.0. Since ActiveMQ supports AMQP 1.0, that client when ready
should work against ActiveMQ also (much as the current JMS 1.1 client
for AMQP does).

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On May 19, 2014, at 1:35 PM, uromahn <ul...@ulrichromahn.net> wrote:

> Hmm, from the deafening silence I must assume that either of the two things
> happened:
> 1. People didn't read my post for some reason (and hence I am replying to my
> own post to refresh this post), or
> 2. There is no appetite supporting JMS 2.0 in ActiveMQ and hence people
> ignored my post.

As Claus stated, there hasn’t really been any demand for JMS 2.0 support so far.   One reason is that, at this point, ActiveMQ still supports Java6.   The JMS 2.0 spec mandates the use of some Java7 features and API’s (AutoClosable for example) which would likely require ActiveMQ to drop support for Java6.   I’m not saying that won’t happen, but right now, that’s not on the 5.10 agenda and most of the ActiveMQ folks are really trying to get that out before tackling the “what next” kind of questions.

That said, if you are interested in starting to pursue updating things to support JMS 2.0, we’d be happy to accept contributions.   A branch on github that we could look at after 5.10 goes out would certainly be welcome.

Note:  there is also a issue about obtaining access to the JMS 2.0 TCK for testing compliance.   That’s a completely separate issue, but if 100% compliance is important, it’s something that would need to be figured out.

Dan

> Anyways, if I won't see any feedback or comments to this post, I have to
> assume that ActiveMQ will be a "dead-end" with regards to JMS 2.0 (and
> future versions of JMS).
>
> Thanks,
> -Uli

Daniel Kulp

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

On 06/15/2015 03:28 PM, tmyers@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would also like to see ActiveMQ support JMS 2.0.  I have run into an issue
> integrating ActiveMQ with WebSphereMQ related to JMS 2.0.  The latest
> WebSphereMQ client libraries version 8.0.0.2 are JMS 2.0 compliant.  The
> 8.0.02 version addresses security vulnerabilities and provides support for
> TLS CipherSuites.  However, due to ActiveMQ not supporting JMS 2.0, I have
> not found a way to implement a Camel route between ActiveMQ and WebSphereMQ
> that makes use of the stronger ciphersuites.
>
> The solution for now is to wait for IBM to release the equivalent JMS 1.1
> compliant 7.5.0.6 client libraries in the next couple of months.  However,
> it sounds like WebSphereMQ/ActiveMQ integration might be difficult unless
> ActiveMQ supports JMS 2.0 in the future.
>

> mickhayes wrote
>> Hi Uli,
>>
>> I support that it would be great for ActiveMQ to handle 2.0 sooner rather
>> than later.
>>
>> OpenMQ, for sure, is the reference implementation for JSR 343 (JMS 2.0),
>> so of course it supports JMS 2.0.
>>
>> On HornetQ: yes support is in since 2.4.0Final, but HornetQ and ActiveMQ
>> are
> *
>> quite different products
> *
>> .
>>
>> You can see that since July 2012, JBoss has accquired FUSEsource, but
>> still keeps both JBoss AM-Q and HornetQ.
>>
>> There are other reasons that people will chose ActiveMQ (or JBoss AMQ)
>> over HornetQ apart from the JMS 2.0 support.
>>
>> /MH

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
[3] = it's fixed already... it should be closed as done!

[1] == [2]

The implementation of the JMS2 client api is trivial. you could
actually copy & paste it from Artemis into ActiveMQ5 as a backport.

the only issue is the subscription modes added by JMS2 that will need
some extra reference counting on the server. Shared temporary
subscriptions (that should exist as long as there are consumers) and
the shared subscriptions for topics. The last one could be implemented
with Virtual Topics underneath I believe. Any advise on how to
implement those? if that's done then it's all easy and someone would
just need to pick the task.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please check the following (vote up if necessary). There's obviously
> duplication.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5383
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5736
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-6455
>

> On 06/15/2015 09:28 AM, tmyers@wellsfargo.com wrote:
>>
>> I would also like to see ActiveMQ support JMS 2.0.  I have run into an
>> issue
>> integrating ActiveMQ with WebSphereMQ related to JMS 2.0.  The latest
>> WebSphereMQ client libraries version 8.0.0.2 are JMS 2.0 compliant.  The
>> 8.0.02 version addresses security vulnerabilities and provides support for
>> TLS CipherSuites.  However, due to ActiveMQ not supporting JMS 2.0, I have
>> not found a way to implement a Camel route between ActiveMQ and
>> WebSphereMQ
>> that makes use of the stronger ciphersuites.
>>
>> The solution for now is to wait for IBM to release the equivalent JMS 1.1
>> compliant 7.5.0.6 client libraries in the next couple of months.  However,
>> it sounds like WebSphereMQ/ActiveMQ integration might be difficult unless
>> ActiveMQ supports JMS 2.0 in the future.
>>

>> mickhayes wrote
>>>
>>> Hi Uli,
>>>
>>> I support that it would be great for ActiveMQ to handle 2.0 sooner rather
>>> than later.
>>>
>>> OpenMQ, for sure, is the reference implementation for JSR 343 (JMS 2.0),
>>> so of course it supports JMS 2.0.
>>>
>>> On HornetQ: yes support is in since 2.4.0Final, but HornetQ and ActiveMQ
>>> are
>>
>> *
>>>
>>> quite different products
>>
>> *
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> You can see that since July 2012, JBoss has accquired FUSEsource, but
>>> still keeps both JBoss AM-Q and HornetQ.
>>>
>>> There are other reasons that people will chose ActiveMQ (or JBoss AMQ)
>>> over HornetQ apart from the JMS 2.0 support.
>>>
>>> /MH
>>

>> --

Clebert Suconic
http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@jboss.com
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Discussion: JMS 2.0 API support

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "tmyers@wellsfargo.com" <TM...@wellsfargo.com>.

*
*

Posted by Petter Nordlander <Pe...@enfo.se>.
Hi,

Don¹t know if you missed this thread in this very list but HornetQ and AMQ
might be heading the same way..

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Possible-HornetQ-donation-to-ActiveMQ
-td4682971.html

That may change the JMS 2.0 status of AMQ in one way or another. Time will
tell.

Petter