Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2003/11/11 14:19:03 UTC

[GT2003] cannot play 20-town-hall.avi video

I downloaded this video from two different mirror locations but neither
does work here (macosx 10.2.8, tried with QuickTime and Windows Media
Player), QuickTime says "program error" and WMP says "wrong format".

Does it work for others? The MD5 of the file that I have is

b6d698b4d4f98c38d5e382a9e3f82d61  20-town-hall.avi

-Bertrand

Re: [GT2003] cannot play 20-town-hall.avi video

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz dijo:
> I downloaded this video from two different mirror locations but neither
> does work here (macosx 10.2.8, tried with QuickTime and Windows Media
> Player), QuickTime says "program error" and WMP says "wrong format".
>
> Does it work for others? The MD5 of the file that I have is
>
> b6d698b4d4f98c38d5e382a9e3f82d61  20-town-hall.avi

The same here. I played it. Check the archives I think somebody post how
to view the video on Win32.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [GT2003] cannot play 20-town-hall.avi video

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I downloaded this video from two different mirror locations but neither
> does work here (macosx 10.2.8, tried with QuickTime and Windows Media
> Player), QuickTime says "program error" and WMP says "wrong format".

IIRC, the MacOSX port of mplayer did work on all files.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [GT2003] cannot play 20-town-hall.avi video

Posted by Martijn Bouterse <ma...@freeler.nl>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I downloaded this video from two different mirror locations but neither
> does work here (macosx 10.2.8, tried with QuickTime and Windows Media
> Player), QuickTime says "program error" and WMP says "wrong format".
>
> Does it work for others? The MD5 of the file that I have is
>
> b6d698b4d4f98c38d5e382a9e3f82d61  20-town-hall.avi

GSpot[1] says about this file:

"
This is an invalid AVI file due to corruption of the data in the header.
  This is a serious problem, and this file is not likely to playable

Details: While processing chunk /RIFF:AVI , found bad length value 8822
at file offset 0x00000010
"

Then I tried to open it with VirtualDub[2]. VirtualDub reported that the
index block was missing and reconstructed it using a file scan. I
re-saved the file and GSpot reported the following:

"
  DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
combination of filters were used:

  {C:\temp\cocoon\20-town-hall_resave.avi} (Source)
  {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)

  {DivX Decoder Filter} (Video Decoder)
  {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)

  {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
  {Default WaveOut Device} (Audio Renderer)
"

So that's the trick and the new file played happily :-).

HTH, HAND

Martijn Bouterse

[1] http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
[2] http://www.virtualdub.org/index