Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> on 2005/11/01 18:04:24 UTC

Need some help with setting up my Derby development testing environment

Hi all,

I'm still struggling, trying to get a configuration of
my system such that I can run 'derbyall' successfully.

Three questions:

1) java/testing/README.htm does not say anything about
creating a database; it just says to "cd into a directory
that does not have any colons or spaces in it." Do I
need to create a database for the tests to use? Or do they
all create their own databases? If I need to create a
database first, does it need to have any particular
configuration?

2) I'm seeing a bunch of diffs/failures that say "No
Suitable Driver". I'm wondering whether this means that
I don't have my db2jcc driver set up correctly. All I
did was to download the two jar files and put them in
my CLASSPATH before starting derbyall. Should that have
been sufficient? How can I confirm that I've got the
db2jcc driver configured correctly? What else might cause
me to get "No Suitable Driver"?

3) Running 'derbyall', then waiting 6 hours, then staring
at a giant pile of diffs is not really helping me very
much; is there a smaller simple test that I can run to
confirm my environment is set up correcly?

Thanks,

bryan

Re: Need some help with setting up my Derby development testing environment

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Bryan,

(1) The tests will create their own databases. That one you don't have
to worry about.

(2) I'm guessing your problem is that you don't have a properly
configured classpath.

(3) I'm enclosing the scripts which I use to run tests. You should
probably do a test run with just a single test to make sure that
everything's ok. Here's what my various scripts do:

setupClasspath - this script wires together the Derby class tree and the
jar files in trunk/tools/java
setupTests - this script deletes the old test run and invokes the
previous script
runtestsuite - this script invokes the previous script and then runs a
single test suite
runtests - this script invokes the previous script to run the full
derbyall master suite
runonetest - this script invokes setupTests, then runs a single test

If you put these scripts in some directory in your $PATH, you can do the
following:

# this runs derbyall
runtests

# run the bit.sql test from the lang suite
runonetest lang/bit.sql

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Bryan,

I took a quick look at the first diff file. It was trying to run under
the DerbyNet configuration, which I believe uses the DB2 driver. The
error message says to me that the test can't find the DB2 driver on your
classpath.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: POLL: Remove need for DB2 JDBC driver from Derby build and test

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I'd be happy to fix this, I just thought I'd follow the process, and I
also thought *perhaps* you might want to own this.  I do hope you review
what I write and make sure I'm not misstating anything (no that I ever
do *that* :) ).

Cheers,

David

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
I agree - it is easy to get confused between DerbyNet and DerbyNetClient -
maybe DerbyNet should be renamed ;)

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> Well, I'm confused too - it's too weird.

OMG! I am very embarrassed.

It turns out that one of the other tools I have on my
machine had copied an old version of db2jcc.jar into
my $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext.

Removing that file solved the problem.

My apologies, and thanks to Myrna for double-checking
my work, and giving me the confidence to look elsewhere
for the problem.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 11/1/05, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> wrote:

> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> > I think your problem is indeed with db2jcc. Your sysinfo reports it's
> > version 1.0:
> > "[/home/bpendleton/downloads/derby/db2jcc/lib/db2jcc.jar] 1.0 - (581)"
> > I think we only support 2.4 and up with derby 10 and up. Try to download
> > a later version if you need jcc.
>
> Ah, good.
>
> I was rather confused by this download step in my setup. The link
> in java/testing/README.htm points to:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/jcc/
>
> The link on this page asked me to register myself with IBM, which
> I did, and then took me to
>

> http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=cloudscape
>
> There are 9 downloads listed on that page, so I went down the list and
> found the thing that looked most likely to me:
>
> 8. Released product: IBM Cloudscape (IBM DB2 JDBC
> Universal Driver, for Cloudscape/Derby)
> IBM Cloudscape V10.1 is a pure, open source-based Java relational
> database management system that can be embedded in Java programs and
> used for online transaction processing (OLTP)
> Operating system: Java, Java2 | Version: 2.4.17 | Size: 1.03MB |
> Release date: 04 Oct 2004
>
> This certainly looks like it should be version 2.4.17.
>
> When I clicked on that item, I get a file called db2jcc_for_derby.zip,
> with a readme dated Sep 29, 2004, and jar files dated Aug 24, 2004:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ ls -l /home/bpendleton/downloads/derby/db2jcc/lib
> total 1064
> -r--r--r-- 1 bpendleton users 1077696 Aug 24 2004 db2jcc.jar
> -r--r--r-- 1 bpendleton users 673 Aug 24 2004 db2jcc_license_c.jar
> -bash-2.05b$
>
> But, as you point out, the Derby Information section in supersimple.diff
> clearly states that I'm running version 1.0 of the driver:
>
> --------- Derby Information --------
> JRE - JDBC: J2SE 1.4.2 - JDBC 3.0
> [/home/bpendleton/src/derby-subversion/trunk/jars/insane/derby.jar]
> 10.2.0.0 <http://10.2.0.0> alpha - (315052M)
> [/home/bpendleton/src/derby-subversion/trunk/jars/insane/derbytools.jar]
> 10.2.0.0 <http://10.2.0.0> alpha - (315052M)
> [/home/bpendleton/src/derby-subversion/trunk/jars/insane/derbynet.jar]
> 10.2.0.0 <http://10.2.0.0> alpha - (315052M)
> [/home/bpendleton/src/derby-subversion/trunk/jars/insane/derbyclient.jar]
> 10.2.0.0 <http://10.2.0.0> alpha - (315052M)
> [/home/bpendleton/downloads/derby/db2jcc/lib/db2jcc.jar] 1.0 - (581)
> [/home/bpendleton/downloads/derby/db2jcc/lib/db2jcc_license_c.jar] 1.0 -
> (581)
>

> So, I guess I'm confused: where did I go wrong, and what do I need
> to do differently?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Well, I'm confused too - it's too weird. I did the same thing you did but
those same files on my windowze box show it's 2.4 (17). I plopped the zip
file to a linux box & it works there too. file size & dates match to what
you have...
Maybe sysinfo is misbehaving...or maybe the testharness?
I have very few suggestions to figure this out...none very good, I'm afraid.
1. do you get the same result when instead of running a test you do:
 java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo
 (it should get the same result, but...)
2. run the test not with the jars you just built, but use ant all and the
resulting full directory in your classpath (but we did agree that we should
all test with built jars before sub/committing).
3. ..sync up again, ant clobber and rebuild (software madness principles -
do it again, and expect different behavior).
4. still working on further ideas... :-)
 In the meantime, why don't you consider yourself mostly up and running. It
is not required to use db2jcc to be a derby developer, although I'd hate to
see the effort you put in already go to waste.
If you don't put db2jcc*.jar in the classpath, you can continue working...
 Anyone else have any other suggestions?
 Myrna

Re: Need some help with setting up my Derby development testing environment

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
I think your problem is indeed with db2jcc. Your sysinfo reports it's
version 1.0:
 "[/home/bpendleton/downloads/derby/db2jcc/lib/db2jcc.jar] 1.0 - (581)"
I think we only support 2.4 and up with derby 10 and up. Try to download a
later version if you need jcc.
(Unless of course sysinfo doesn't report it correctly...)
 Myrna

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi Bryan...

On 11/1/05, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still struggling, trying to get a configuration of
> my system such that I can run 'derbyall' successfully.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) java/testing/README.htm does not say anything about
> creating a database; it just says to "cd into a directory
> that does not have any colons or spaces in it." Do I
> need to create a database for the tests to use? Or do they
> all create their own databases? If I need to create a
> database first, does it need to have any particular
> configuration?

 The tests will create their own databases.

2) I'm seeing a bunch of diffs/failures that say "No
> Suitable Driver". I'm wondering whether this means that
> I don't have my db2jcc driver set up correctly. All I
> did was to download the two jar files and put them in
> my CLASSPATH before starting derbyall. Should that have
> been sufficient? How can I confirm that I've got the
> db2jcc driver configured correctly? What else might cause
> me to get "No Suitable Driver"?

 If you do *not* have the db2jcc.jar or db2jcc_license_c.jar in your
classpath, then the tests in the suite 'derbynetmats' should skip. I'm
curious which tests you're seeing the failures.

3) Running 'derbyall', then waiting 6 hours, then staring
> at a giant pile of diffs is not really helping me very
> much; is there a smaller simple test that I can run to
> confirm my environment is set up correcly?

 You can run this:
 java org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTestlang/supersimple.sql
If you're trying for network server with jcc it's like this:
 java -Dframework=DerbyNet
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest lang/supersimple.sql
Network server with derby client goes like this:
 java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest lang/supersimple.sql
 If that proves uneventfull, the next step - depending on what you're after,
might be to run derbylang suite instead of derbyall. We'd normally depend on
the nightly results to show us common failures and run derbyall when ready
to create (or commit) a patch.
 I'm wondering though how you're running, did you download derbyTesting.jar,
or did you get the trunk, do ant all, and then run with the resulting
classes dir in your classpath?
 Myrna

Thanks,

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still struggling, trying to get a configuration of
> my system such that I can run 'derbyall' successfully.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) java/testing/README.htm does not say anything about
> creating a database; it just says to "cd into a directory
> that does not have any colons or spaces in it." Do I
> need to create a database for the tests to use? Or do they
> all create their own databases? If I need to create a
> database first, does it need to have any particular
> configuration?
All the tests create their own database, in fact most tests
create database, run tests, and get rid of the database.
A few tests are configured to run multiple tests in a single
db.  By tests I mean a single .java or .sql file.

> 2) I'm seeing a bunch of diffs/failures that say "No
> Suitable Driver". I'm wondering whether this means that
> I don't have my db2jcc driver set up correctly. All I
> did was to download the two jar files and put them in
> my CLASSPATH before starting derbyall. Should that have
> been sufficient? How can I confirm that I've got the
> db2jcc driver configured correctly? What else might cause
> me to get "No Suitable Driver"?

does sound like a jar/classpath issue.  See if embedded tests
work to narrow down to see if it is a network server problem.

> 3) Running 'derbyall', then waiting 6 hours, then staring
> at a giant pile of diffs is not really helping me very
> much; is there a smaller simple test that I can run to
> confirm my environment is set up correcly?
To test embedded environment try running one test:

java -Doutputdir=/tmp
org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/harness/RunTest store/access.sql