Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Worley Brent - bworle <Br...@acxiom.com> on 2004/06/08 16:04:55 UTC

Porting from Resin to Tomcat

We are porting an application from Resin running on WinNT/IIS to Tomcat on
Linux.  However, we are noticing a lot of errors coming up on Tomcat that do
not occur on Resin.

Is there anyone on the list that has ported an app between the two
platforms?  What are some known issues in the porting?

I'm fairly new to Java, but I do know that the code should not change.
However, a lot of the errors coming up seem to be java based errors (which
is odd, since Java is a write once, run anywhere language).

Thanks,
Brent Worley

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.

RE: Porting from Resin to Tomcat

Posted by SH Solutions <sh...@gmx.net>.
Hi

> We are porting an application from Resin running on WinNT/IIS to Tomcat on
Linux.  However, we are noticing a lot of errors coming up on Tomcat that do
not occur on Resin.
> Is there anyone on the list that has ported an app between the two
platforms?  What are some known issues in the porting?

Yes, I did.
For some time, our app was even supported on both plattforms.

The only problem we got into, was that resin automatically parses mutipart
post content. Tomcat does not. So we went for commons-fileupload and we are
fine with that.

Nothing else needed to be changed. (We are only using servlets, no JSPs.)

> However, a lot of the errors coming up seem to be java based errors (which
is odd, since Java is a write once, run anywhere language).

Neither tomcat nor resin are running your classes. The VM does. So there
really is no difference.
Tell us, which errors come up, maybe we can help.

Keep in mind, that you have to develop container-independent. Both resin and
tomcat give you some functionallity only with their own classes. As far as I
can tell, this is mostly the case only for things which are not defined in
the servlet specs. Try to avoid them as much as possible, since they will
definitly make your application plattform dependent. And writing an
application that supports both is a burden in java. (I think this is really
a problem of the language.)

Regards,
  Steffen