Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Krthekeyan Suriyanarayanan <s....@verchaska.com> on 2005/07/20 13:43:02 UTC

Attachments using doc style

How can we send xml document as attachment using document style webservice.

Regards,
krthekeyan.s

Re: Axis programming sample

Posted by Tom Oinn <tm...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Simon Brunning wrote:
> On 7/22/05, Kirti Bodhmage <ki...@ahds.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>I am new to Axis programming and looking for the Axis client-server
>>programming example links or tutorials.
>>The example in Axis programming user guide doesn't give enough guideline foe
>>the cross network client-server programming.
>

> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-eight/

"Your guide to the hottest Web services technologies"

okay...

"01 Jan 2003"

not so great.

Surely there's an example that uses APIs which still exist? I probably
wouldn't suggest people use WSIF at the moment, for example.

I think the most important thing is to understand how SOAP works, once
you have a good grasp of what the architecture is meant to do (pass
messages from a to b, put simply) then Axis makes a lot more sense. Try
to treat it as RMI with different ports and you'll get confused in no time.

The simplest example services are those based on the .jws mechanism, try
deploying one (just put axis in a servlet engine of your choice and add
a .jws file, effectively just a .java file with a different extension)
then see if you can get the ?wsdl link from it working (i.e.
http://myserver.com/axis/test.jws?wsdl) - if this gets you WSDL then
build a client with the WSDL2JAVA tool or use the Call API to invoke it
in a stubless fashion. If you get that far you understand the basics of
Axis programming, I always find it easiest to learn by doing but of
course you may be different.

Tom

Re: Axis programming sample

Posted by Simon Brunning <si...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,

Axis programming sample

Re: Attachments using doc style

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Attachments are tricky -- the industry has not yet adopted a standard
way to send attachments (the industry is converging on MTOM, but
products don't support it yet). It's also difficult to properly secure
them, so I generally discourage folks from using attachments at this
time.

Unless it's essential for you to maintain the full-fidelity of the XML
document (including the <?xml> root element), I recommend sending your
document as an XML fragment within the SOAP envelope. If you must
maintain the <?xml> root element, then I suggest that you convert the
XML document to a string, and send it inside the SOAP element.

As a general rule, I recommend using the "wrapped" document/literal
style of service. If you look the archives of this list, you can find
a lot of information on the "wrapped" style.

Anne