Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/28 17:09:05 UTC

Planning for post-1.0 releases

Hi,

The issue tracker shows a steady progress of bug fixes and other
improvements since 1.0. I'd like to start planning for the first
post-1.0 releases to push these improvements out to production
environments.

As previously discussed, 1.0.1 would be a pure bug fix release. I'd
like to target late May as the release date and I expect the release
to be relatively straightforward, i.e. there's probably no need for
any release candidate cycles.

It's probably still too early to decide the feature set and release
date of 1.1, but sometime in late summer, 3+ months after 1.0 would
sounds like a good time for the release.

If this sounds agreeable, I will gradually start grooming the issue
tracker for these releases and come up with a more detailed 1.1
release plan.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Planning for post-1.0 releases

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
Ok, it's fine for me.

As feedback: If you want to release the current textfilers package with that
1.0.1 version you can do it safely. I have been working with that package
the last weeks and works pretty good.

Martin

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Well, if you include the current trunk code, it won't be only a pure bug fix
release.

I mean, the patch that Marcel did some weeks ago to the textfilters package
to index the file contents only when is needed it greatly boosts jackrabbit
performance when working with binary documents like PDF, Word, etc. I
haven't done serious benchmarks, but I noted a performance increase of at
very least 5x when adding binary indexable content to Jackrabbit
repositories.

So I think that the 1.0.1 release will include a hidden goodie :)

Martin

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The issue tracker shows a steady progress of bug fixes and other
> improvements since 1.0. I'd like to start planning for the first
> post-1.0 releases to push these improvements out to production
> environments.
>
> As previously discussed, 1.0.1 would be a pure bug fix release. I'd
> like to target late May as the release date and I expect the release
> to be relatively straightforward, i.e. there's probably no need for
> any release candidate cycles.
>
> It's probably still too early to decide the feature set and release
> date of 1.1, but sometime in late summer, 3+ months after 1.0 would
> sounds like a good time for the release.
>
> If this sounds agreeable, I will gradually start grooming the issue
> tracker for these releases and come up with a more detailed 1.1
> release plan.

+1, thanks!

cheers
stefan