Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Fabio Mazanatti <fa...@pobox.com> on 2015/06/08 16:30:33 UTC

What should I do to correct documentation?

Hi there,

I was checking the Confluence docs and got a few points that can be easily
improved, like these few lines:

Geode in 5 minutes
Obtain the source archive from Pivotal. Extract and build from source
(note: currently Geode supports jdk1.7.75):
$ cd geode
$ ./gradlew build installDist

1. The source files now must be obtained from GIT
2. The text could mention that you don't need to have Gradle available in
order to build Geode.
When I saw the "./gradlew build" line, I thought that you should list
Gradle as a pre-req. Markito told me that it isn't necessary, the script
takes care of it. It would be nice to make this clear.

So, my point is: how can I help improving the docs? One can't edit it
directly from Confluence, right? Just emailing the dev list is enough?

Best,
Fabio

--
Fabio Mazanatti
 --- http://mazanatti.info

Re: What should I do to correct documentation?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Fabio,

welcome to the Geode community! Helping us to improve
our wiki would be awesome. If this is something you're
interested in -- please register on ASF wiki and send me
your ID so I can let you edit the pages.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by David Yozie <dy...@pivotal.io>.
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com> wrote:
> Fabio - thanks for bringing these up.
>
> Please consider posting one or more JIRA's with your findings:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel
> .
>
> Docs are in transition from the interim repository still, so I'll have to
> ask other contributors to weigh in on how to handle new contributions to
> docs.

Thanks, Fabio - I'll second Greg's point and suggest adding a Jira for now.

Also, the source for the docs you're talking about are on github at
https://github.com/project-geode/docs  There are markdown instructions
available there to describe how to contribute doc changes.

-David

Re: What should I do to correct documentation?

Posted by Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com>.