Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Phillips, Caleb" <Ca...@nrel.gov> on 2015/12/22 21:39:32 UTC

fs.s3a.endpoint not working

Hi All,

New to this list. Looking for a bit of help:

I'm having trouble connecting Hadoop to a S3-compatable (non AWS) object store.

This issue was discussed, but left unresolved, in this thread:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-user/201507.mbox/%3CCA+0W_Au5Es_fLUgZMGwkkgA3JyA1ASi3u+isJCuYmfnTvNkGuQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

And here, on Cloudera's forums (the second post is mine):

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Data-Ingestion-Integration/fs-s3a-endpoint-ignored-in-hdfs-site-xml/m-p/33694#M1180

I'm running Hadoop 2.6.3 with Java 1.8 (65) on a Linux host. Using Hadoop, I'm able to connect to S3 on AWS, and e.g., list/put/get files.

However, when I point the fs.s3a.endpoint configuration directive at my non-AWS S3-Compatable object storage, it appears to still point at (and authenticate against) AWS.

I've checked and double-checked my credentials and configuration using both Python's boto library and the s3cmd tool, both of which connect to this non-AWS data store just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

--
Caleb Phillips, Ph.D.
Data Scientist | Computational Science Center

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
303-275-4297 | caleb.phillips@nrel.gov

Re: fs.s3a.endpoint not working

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for following up!

William Watson
Lead Software Engineer

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for following up!

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for following up!

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for following up!

Posted by "Phillips, Caleb" <Ca...@nrel.gov>.
Hi All,

[...]

 <description>AWS secret key. Omit for Role-based authentication.</description>

From: Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 8:41 AM
To: Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>>
Cc: Caleb Phillips <ca...@nrel.gov>>, "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: fs.s3a.endpoint not working

303-275-4297<tel:303-275-4297> | caleb.phillips@nrel.gov<ma...@nrel.gov>

Re: fs.s3a.endpoint not working

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Phillips, Caleb" <Ca...@nrel.gov>.
Hi Jonathan,

>Im not totally following this thread from the beginning but I might be
>able to help as I have some experience with Amazon EMR (elastic map
>reduce) when working with custom jar files and s3
>Are you using EMR or something internal and offloading strage to s3?

We have an S3-compatable object store made by Scality
(http://www.scality.com/). A so-called ‘ring’. It’s basically a pile of
linux boxes that behaves like our own internal S3 ‘cloud'. It lives in our
data-center.

What I’d like to do is have hadoop connect to that *instead* of the Amazon
AWS S3.

Yet, no matter how I set the fs.s3a.endpoint directive, it still connects
to Amazon’s S3.

Hope that clarifies,

—
Caleb