Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net> on 2002/06/16 16:34:22 UTC

RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support htpasswd.c

> From: rbb@apache.org [mailto:rbb@apache.org]
>
> rbb         2002/06/16 08:52:16
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                support  htpasswd.c
>   Log:
>   Finish the htpasswd port to APR.  This brings the file checking code
>   APR.

I am done changing htpasswd, but I should mention that I severely
dislike the current file checking code.  For people who don't know, we
do a series of checks at the beginning of running the code to determine
if we can read/write/update the password file before we ever actually
try to open it.  IMHO, that is completely incorrect.  We should do the
checks while opening the file, and fail cleanly.  As things stand now,
if we want to add more file checks, that logic is just going to get
uglier and uglier, and there is the real chance that people will forget
to update those checks if they add features to htpasswd.

Unfortunately, the code is somewhat ugly to read, and I don't have
anymore time this morning.  If I have time when I get home tonight, I
will look at refactoring the code to flow a bit cleaner.  However, if
anybody would like to beat me to it, feel free.

Ryan