Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2010/11/02 03:20:59 UTC

Fwd: Moving to website to the new CMS?

Now that we're soooo late in having any Website at all how about moving to
the new CMS instead of Confluence and various other weird contortions?

Sanjiva.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Looking at all new http://www.apache.org/, I am compelled to +1 CMS.

Samisa...

http://samisa-abeysinghe.blogspot.com/

Re: Moving to website to the new CMS?

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
I followed the discussion that gave birth to that CMS. I think it
represents a progress for non-project sites (such as www and
community, but I'm not convinced that it is a good solution for
project sites. The main points are:

* It's SVN based. In contrast to Confluence, this means that
non-committers can't contribute directly.
* It uses an obscure markup called markdown. That means yet another
markup to learn, while most developers are familiar with XDoc and/or
APT, and Confluence has the necessary features (help and preview) that
makes it easy to learn its markup.
* Its GUI is... minimalist to say the least.

To summarize, switching to that solution would further reduce the
number of people able to contribute to the site, namely to committers
who are willing to familiarize themselves with a CMS specific to the
ASF.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.