Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@nimblefish.com> on 2004/01/20 01:45:17 UTC

DOM2DOM broken in Xalan 2.5.2 -- fix?

We are working on a servlet which does some basic XSLT transformation.
We would like to use the latest Xalan for this.  The sample in the Xalan
distribution which is closest to what we want is the DOM2DOM sample.

However, it is completely broken!

We did the following:

1) Install Java 1.4.2_02

2) Download
http://apache.secsup.org/dist/xml/xalan-j/xalan-j-current-bin.zip

3) Unzip it to c:\download\xalan-j-current-bin and cd to
c:\download\xalan-j-current-bin\xalan-j-2_5_2\samples\DOM2DOM

4) Run the DOM2DOM sample with "java -classpath
..\..\bin\xalan.jar;..\..\bin\xercesImpl.jar;..\..\bin\xalanSamples.jar;
..\..\bin\xml-apis.jar DOM2DOM"

5) Get the following error:
org.apache.xml.utils.TreeWalker.<init>(Lorg/
xml/sax/ContentHandler;Lorg/apache/xml/utils/DOMHelper;)V
        at
org.apache.xml.serializer.ToStream.serialize(ToStream.java:251)
        at DOM2DOM.main(DOM2DOM.java:134)

There is *no* other CLASSPATH set in our environment.

When was the last time DOM2DOM was tested or otherwise known to work?
What is the problem and what is the fix?

We are working on other ways to deal with this problem, but it is to say
the least pretty unsatisfactory that Xalan ships with broken samples,
particularly such a basic sample….

All help appreciated.
Sincerely,
Rob Jellinghaus

robj at nimblefish dot com

RE: DOM2DOM broken in Xalan 2.5.2 -- fix?

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@nimblefish.com>.
Thank you.  This is correct, and immensely helpful :-)

Cheers!
Rob

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@nimblefish.com>.
We just found

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xalan-j-users@xml.ap
ache.org
<http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xalan-j-users@xml.a
pache.org&msgId=722503> &msgId=722503

So now we have to do:

java
-Xbootclasspath/p:..\..\bin\xalan.jar;..\..\bin\xml-apis.jar;..\..\bin\x
alansamples.jar;..\..\bin\xercesImpl.jar DOM2DOM

And that works.  Looks like this is broken only on Windows?!

Still it would be great if this actually gets fixed someday in the main
distribution.  How is this meant to work inside of an EJB server, or
other environment where we may not have control over the bootclasspath?
Surely there is a way to make the bootclasspath be
platform-independent….

All guidance appreciated :-\

Sincerely,
Rob Jellinghaus